How much to charge to push mow per acre?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Austin Mullis, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Austin Mullis

Austin Mullis LawnSite Member

How much should I charge to push mow an acre property with a 21” cut push mower at average walking speed? Not including trimming/blowing. Really I’m asking how long does it take to push mow an acre?

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

As far as amount of time, depends on a lot of factors. I'd charge at least $1000.00

3. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Member

heres the thing. its not fair to the customer to charge them what you would need to push mow an acre. your either going to be busting it to make some cash till you can buy something bigger, just buy something bigger, or send him to someone who can handle that size. i charge about 65$/acre thats not trimming or blowing. How many yards do you mow currently? if your making 200$/week go buy yourself a stand on and youll blow through that in no time. just my two cents.

Mitty87 and wjjones like this.
  4. Austin Mullis

I guess I didn’t phrase it very good. Obviously I won’t be taking on a lawn that big. I’m trying to figure out how fast I can mow a lawn, and estimating the size of the lawn figure out how long it should take me and apply my hourly rate. How much lawn can I mow with a push mower in an hour would probably be a better question.

5. Austin Mullis

Also what would be a maximum size lawn I could reasonably mow with a push mower while still keeping a good rate?

6. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Bronze Member

City lots are great for push mower. I do 2 next door to each other @$20 each , takes me 38 minutes to do both. 1/4 acre is your max but realistically smaller.

7. Austin Mullis

Thanks. About how long would a 1/4 acre take?

8. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Member

i would bet an hour atleast. i agree with greencuts i wouldnt do anything more than 1/4 acre MAX. imo you can charge more because it takes you longer. i charge 45$/ 1/4acre lots all day. i would reccomend getting a new mower asap. i run a 652r efi i bought brand new with tweels for 9300$. I highly reccomend it unless you run alot of fences or small city lots that require a couple of pushes with the push mow. some advice that i wish i would have done from the begining though.. have a minimum. I started at 30$ minimum and now im at 40$. thinking of pushing 45$ next year.

9. Austin Mullis

Right now im just starting with what i have. a troy build 21" push mower and a ryobi weed eater, and maybe a homelite handheld gas blower if i can get it running. I have a pretty good cub cadet riding mower that was used as a first mower for a differant lawn care company but i dont have a trailer and cant get it in my truck. i plan to reinvest heavily, and hopefully soon get a small trailer and walk behind. I should also mention im 16 and getting a summer job didnt work out. this is something ive wanted to do for many years but didnt have the means to do. any tips for getting a first customer? also, i dont live in a suburb or neighborhood.

Cam15 and Mr. Mow Man like this.
  10. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I'd say half acre would be the biggest you should take on currently, and that half acre is gonna take you awhile just to get cut.
    For instance: I have a half acre lot that takes me 1 hour to mow trim & blow with a 48" Scag V-Ride. I mow pretty dang fast & trim even faster so I'd just guestimate that it would take you an additional hour and a half possibly to complete.
    You might be better to stick with 1/4 acre lots for the time being.