How much to charge to push mow per acre?

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Austin Mullis, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

Totally agree.

2. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

I agree with 1.5 hours. If the grass was 200' wide, then the length would be 217.8 feet long to = 43,560 sq ft, which is 1 acre. If you had a 2" overlap, you would be cutting 19" strips. 200" wide x 12" = 2,400". 2,400" divided by 19" = 127 passes. 127 passes or rows that are 217.8' long = 27,661 feet you are walking total. 27,661 divided by 5280' in a mile means you are walking 5.238 miles. A push mower goes about 3.5 miles an hour. 5.238 miles divided by 3.5 mph = 1.5 hours of walking. This assumes no extra time for turning around at the end of each pass.

CJ's Mowing Service likes this.
  3. moron88

moron88 LawnSite Member

i'll throw my nickel in (inflation's a *****). couple weeks ago i mowed a 1.5 acre lot (about 1.3 acres actual lawn) for $75. it hadnt been mowed in a while due to his mower breaking. that combined with the topography (not a flat inch in sight) it took me about an hour and 45 minutes... with the 60" deck on my subcompact tractor. this is also considering that he did not care about the finish or if i missed spots (which i did, because my walk behind was being a PITA and my tractor couldnt physically reach some areas). if he calls me to do it again, i'm gonna say $200 purely due to the hills (they'd make a weeble fall over).

to give a contrast, my own yard (~1 acre mowed in 2 separate sections) takes less than an hour to mow, taking my sweet time.

Mr Stripe and oqueoque like this.
  4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Bagging would also add a lot of time to this also.

As others have said if you have a small mower look for small properties. If you have a big mower look for bigger properties. Or if you have all different size mowers you can effectively cut various size lawns profitably. I've seen big z's on small properties ( like 200 sq ft lawns) and laugh my but off. Clippings everywhere, and about 100 sq ft left to trim.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  5. Mr Stripe

How long does that actually take you?
    Like I charge $50 - $60 for a half acre which takes me maybe 40 minutes to an hour trimmed and all, in fact Iv got a front yard I do for $200 a month, he's full service, most weeks just mow, blow & go, 18 minutes & I'm gone. But that was a nervous bid but turned out a winner.
    The bigger ones come more frequently for my area. Lots of big yards, but they trip ya up on bidding em out.

6. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

fireball756 likes this.
  7. moron88

moron88 LawnSite Member

as i said in that post, it took an hour and 45 minutes. i made a the mistake of giving a price sight unseen. i knew better, but needed a paying job. that was my first one. that was purely mowing, no trimming or blowing. as i also said, if he calls me again it'll be 200.

Mr Stripe likes this.
  8. Mr Stripe

Dude I totally missed that part in your post! Haha, I'm moron#1, nice to meet ya! Dang that sucks, it happens man.

9. moron88

moron88 LawnSite Member

it's easy to miss details in a wall of text. definitely a learning experience for me.

10. Mr Stripe

Just got done mowing a new yard, just so happens to be a 43,800 Sq ft lot with roughly 37,405 Sq ft of grass. Brand new to it first time the mowing took 30 minutes flat with 48" V-Ride, trimming & Blowing took 38 minutes so a total of 1 hr 8 - 10 minutes to be gone @ $70 Screenshot_2018-07-13-12-46-58.png