Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another how much to charge for this threads. The reason I'm posting it is that although I make a decent wage on this job, I think they're getting too good of a deal.

I don't know what I was thinking when I bid it, other than I needed more work badly, but I let the owner talk me down by $10 and now regret it. Even at $10 more than my bid I think I'd still be low.

I usually measure all my sizeable properties but honestly don't know how big it is. I'm guessing 2 acres.

Here's the particulars -

Mow every 10 days or so, 7 is o.k. with them during heavy growth. I don't like to see it go to 2 weeks because I mulch this time of year. I mowed today at 13 days and it wasn't too bad.

Quick trim around the barn and house, the driveway/parking area, mailbox, near road, a couple rocks and a 20 x 6 wet spot. I don't trim the edges at all and and the signs (it's an antique shop), bird boxes or trees.

Blow all hard surfaces.

Don't get picky, tire tracks, burn outs and ruts in wet areas are o.k. I've put down some good ones!

There are a few wet areas...there's a steam right behind me in the second photo. I get the tire treads clogged and the machine a little muddy every time.

Access is good and you drive by it at least a couple of times a week.

Here's the questions:

Would you even do it?

How much to charge?

How long would it take to mow and what would you use?

Time to trim & blow.

I use my 52 Lazer Z HP.

I will (eventually) tell you how much I charge and how long it takes.

Here's looking from the road diagonally to the back (wettest) corner. Keep in mind that I couldn't fit the whole property in the photo and don't wan't to post too many photos.

Sky Plant Tire Tree Wheel

· Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a photo with me standing in the back corner looking toward the road and where I took the first photo. Note - The right side goes straight up to the road, more or less anyway.

Sky Plant Property Building Tree

· Registered
1,437 Posts
120 bucks. 1.5 hrs total. Looks like alot of trim work to me? Lot of time walking to do the trim

· Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple more things...other than a couple of rough spots, it's pretty smooth. The only slope is up by the road and on the sides of the detached shed, which I'm not sure is even in the photo...all can be done with a Z rider.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
i would be useing a 54 z

· Registered
1,916 Posts
It looks like it may be just a hair over 2 acres. Going rate around here is $60-$75/acre depending on the trimming and blowing. If I really needed the work I would bid $120, but would have submitted a first offer of $135 just to make him feel he was getting a bargan when I came down to $120.

· Registered
579 Posts
$60-$80 guessing
without walking the yard
i try to get $25 just to show up
very basic yard then up from there

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I can't tell the size just from the pic, but if it's really two acres minimal trim and some blowing, I'd do it for MAYBE $85, using my 52" eXmark TTHP & Proslide figuring about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 hrs. @ $50 each.

· Registered
664 Posts
Yes, I would do it. Depending on the trim...$90 - $100. Using 60" Hustler Z, with so few obstacles and if trim is minimal, should be about 2.5 -3.0 man hours. Looks like about 1 hour to trim and blow, 1.5 hours to mow since not mowed weekly.

· Registered
10,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, looks like I'm the low bidder...or should I say low baller. I'm only getting $60 for it.

I did it yesterday in under an hour for the first time for mow/trim/blow. The mow took 44 minutes with the Z, the trim 11 minutes and the blow 4 minutes, 59 minutes total, including load/unload time.

That's runnning flat out and busting butt, and probably pushing the mower (and myself) harder than I should. The last time took me a total of 1 hour 8 minutes, and it's taken as long as 1.5 hours. Remember, we're not getting picky here. They don't expect it to be manicured.

I'm to the point now where it doesn't make sense for me to do this at that price...in fact it never did. Again, I don't know what I was thiinking!!!!!:confused

So any advise on what to do now? I've been mowing it at that price since June. I think I could live with it at $85 or $90, but that's quite an increase to spring on someone. I guess I need to wake up and smell the coffee and either raise it drastically or dump the account, because it's just not worth it.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Originally posted by darryl gesner
That's runnning flat out and busting butt, and probably pushing the mower (and myself) harder than I should. The last time took me a total of 1 hour 8 minutes, and it's taken as long as 1.5 hours. Remember, we're not getting picky here. They don't expect it to be manicured.
I'd say you're right on the money with $85/90. Averaging it out let's say it takes about 1hr. and 15 minutes. So, at $70/hour that's right on the mark.
Pete

· Registered
966 Posts
75 to 120 is where i would stand.i know where that place is darryl!! don't worry i won't tell....lol those are the properties i enjoy doing.nice flat out mowing.sit there with one hand driving the Lazer and the other holding a beer....lol.i should get picks up of this property i low balled.stupid of me but at the time i really needed the work also.look at it this way.people that drive by will see you and your rig.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
Darryl

I would have to agree with Pete that the $85-$90 range is MORE than fair for this property. I would finish off the season at the $60 price, afterall you probably only have 6 cuts left anyhow +/- with your 10 day scheduling.

When the season is finished, I would send them a nice Thank You note and all the usual rigamaroll that goes out end of season and over the holidays.

There are few ways you can possibly retain this acct at a higher rate. It might be possible to "add" what you feel your losing into the spring and fall clean-up bills.

It might also be easiest to incur the loss into your plowing contracts. Remember many clients will pay a higher $$$ for the convenience of knowing their lots and homes are accessible at all times -- its alot easier to cool off after mowing the lawn than it is to warm up and regain lost time due to plowing issues -LOL!!!

The other way to possibly get your asking price is to have them sign a 2-yr contract where you raise them half of what you want and then in 2 yrs raise them the balance locking them into another multiple year contract or simply let them know unless fuel is so outlandish its $10/gl their rates are frozen etc.

BTW I too agree that the $60/hr aint bad bucks for riding around LOL!!!

just my .02

· Registered
1,899 Posts
Originally posted by kutnkru
Darryl

I would have to agree with Pete that the $85-$90 range is MORE than fair for this property. I would finish off the season at the $60 price, afterall you probably only have 6 cuts left anyhow +/- with your 10 day scheduling......

We'll I'll be...how the hell have you been Kris? PM me when you get a chance...probably won't see for a few days. And as always...another quality post. LOL

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.