1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much to offer for Demo from dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outsourced, Jun 12, 2005.

1. outsourced

outsourced LawnSite Member

Local Scag dealer has a Turf Tiger w/ 61' deck, 27 hp Kohler air cooled engine. It was an 05 demo model and has 400 hrs on it. They are asking $8000 and a new one is $8400. I intend to pay cash. How much would you offer?

Also, this is my first post and I love this forum. I have learned so much from you guys. I am pretty well sold on the Scag. I currently have two walk behinds, a 52 Scag hydro and 27 yr old Bunton with a 61' deck. I work alone and have some huge yards so a rider is going to make life easier. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally,I wouldn't buy another Skag if it were free but...400 hours is about half a season. Just like a car its worth 15% less the day you drive it off a lot. going by a 5 year depreciation schedule if it is 6 months old it would have depreciated by about $850. I would offer no more than $7,500

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt be sold on scag.

4. outsourced

outsourced LawnSite Member

I live in Louisville and have been really pleased with the dealer parts and service people.

Demo'd a Chopper and didn't like it as much as my father in laws Scag. These are the only two I have looked at so far.

Thanks again. Also - I absolutely love my Scag 52 wb. Awesome machine for me.

5. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

It has 400 hrs on it and they are taking $400 off the price of a new one. That is ridiculous. And you can bet they are 400 rough hours if it was a demo.

6. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

400 hours doesn't seem like much but it is! If a new one is 8400, i'd offer 6400 cash. They are asking way too much I think. Most i'd pay would probably be 7000.

7. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

I looked at one here about 3 weeks ago it was a floor model with less than 1 hour on it, had a 52 deck and the dealer was selling for 7000. I think 8 is very high for that many hours, I don't think I would go over about 6500..