1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How much would you charge to install a ton of river rock?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Walkerchav, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Walkerchav

Walkerchav LawnSite Member

I have to install a ton of riverrock. The stone is 5-8 inches and is 75$ for the ton and 75$ delivery. How much should I charge to install? It's being used for a border.

2. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

$75 for river rock is retail price I pay $ 16 a ton for river rock at a rock plant. Also 1 ton you can it dumped into the back of your truck and deliver it yourself.

RDALawns and PDLlandscaping like this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Depends.......

PDLlandscaping and hort101 like this.
  4. PDLlandscaping

PDLlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

It always depends.
    However, one ton of stone is not much at all and will cover less than a yard of mulch. Since you're talking 5-8 inch stone it won't be the easiest to shovel unless you have a really large one, like the ones used for mulch/manure. If you're wheeling the stuff it could add time to the job opposed to backing your truck up to the desired location and shoveling it off. Estimate how long it's gonna take you in hours and multiply it by your hourly rate. Then add the cost of the material.

1.5hr x $80per/hr = 120
    120 + 75 (delivery) + 75 (material) = $270

Don't have it delivered. Pick it up yourself and bill for half the $75 delivery cost. I'd also look for a new place to get stone.

RDALawns likes this.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I said it depends. He could be wheeling it a quarter mile or 10 feet. It could be uphill both ways or downhill both ways. Could be through a swamp. Could be through beach sand. Does it need to be spread out or dumped in a pile? (I know, he said it's be used for a border). One rock border? 2 rock border? Is it straight? Is it zig-zagged?

There isn't nearly enough information provided to give an intelligent answer.

hort101 and AeroEngi like this.