How much would you pay per acre to build a shop?

FinerCutslawnCare

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well my garage and property at my house is really starting to fill up and it is starting to become a pain in the butt. I have started kicking around the idea of buying ground and putting a shop on it. There is some ground outside of my town for sale. It is a total of five acres, and used to be farm land but the ground is not good enough for farming anymore. It has a paved access, right off a busy highway. Not very many people know about the ground being forsale yet, but they are starting to except local bids. My question is, how much would you pay per acre(your max).

If I buy ground I would plan on using it to build a shop, a rather large compost pile(as going green is the new thing), and possibly if I have a couple acres left putting storage unites close by.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.:waving:

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
Around here if its 5-10 acres for building it runs around 10-12k per acre. Now farm land is 5500-6500 per acre depend on ground type and drainage and location.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Around here if its 5-10 acres for building it runs around 10-12k per acre. Now farm land is 5500-6500 per acre depend on ground type and drainage and location.
Posted via Mobile Device
The new hwy I69 has really drove up land prices here. Real good farm ground up to 10000 a acre. Average ground is 5-7000. Really hard to buy 5 acres right now here. It depends on the area. One thing that always sticks in my head. A old farmer told me anything next to you, you will only have one chance to buy it in your lifetime.

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
It is all dependant on location. Land 3 miles out of the Des Moines suburb compared to 20 miles out will change in price greatly. Question is does it make sense to drive that or not. What is the future growth to that area, etc.

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
It all depends on location. There was a nice shop in a small town way out of my area. Had bath room shower, drain, on floor heat, as well as regular lp heat. All tin inside. It sold for 30000 on auction. Ops location is near des Moines o believe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoots

LawnSite Senior Member
It all depends on your area. A house that I see on House Hunters tv show is $250,000 in the northeast and is considered a dump here in Texas for $50,000.

I too am looking for land. Some is going for $40,000/acre while 10-15 miles further south it's $10,000. It all depends on where you want to be and how it fits your budget.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
Most farm land (zoned ag) around me is going for a pretty penny. There was one plot of land that was about 80 acres that sold for $1.2mil just a couple miles from my house.

I, too, have been contemplating the idea of purchasing some land and building a shop (for both business and personal use). I have been looking for property that is roughly 5 acres. From what I have found, most parcels that size are going for anywhere from about $50k to $100k. Personally, I'd like to spend about $10k per acre (don't want to go much more above that).

You will want to check your zoning regulations to be sure that it will allow you building how you want. Some property that I have looked at is zoned "rural residential" which is great, but I can't build a shop on it unless I have a house on it too. If I find something zoned "agriculture", I can build a shop with no problems...its just that most ag land for sale around here is in the neighborhood of 50 acres and above (doubt they will be splitting that off).

I will have to talk with one of my customers who is a realitor, see if she can help me find some decent property or direct me to an agent who can help me. If I were you, I would at least start talking with a realitor to see if they may be able to help you out.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I've got my eye on an empty lot in a commercial area here in town, it's probably an acre or two, I'm gonna call Monday to see what they want for it. I'm hoping it could be bought for $5,000 or so but I'm guessing not. I want to put up a shop on it in a couple years, but first I will put up 10 or 20 storage units. I've had my heart set on having storage units of my own ever since I started renting units a few years ago lol.

Hoots

LawnSite Senior Member
Another thing too is mineral rights. I was looking at a place that did not include rights for $8K/acre. I told the guy I would pay $1,000/acre because it was only worth that much. There are numerous things to investigat like-is there water? electric? easment roads? Water and electric hookup can be a killer.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree

LawnSite Member
Around here the worst farmland is over 40-50 k per acre. Good stuff, with elect. Water, will run around 80+
Posted via Mobile Device