How much would you want to make on this job?

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m not asking what you would charge. But I am curious to know how much you would want to make on a job like this. Ballpark is fine.
-Remove and dispose of 9 12-15’ tall windmill palms
-Remove and dispose of 2 multi trunk river birch trees
-Install 11 15-17’ tall windmill palms
-Sub out the use of 4-man crew, rental of bobcat and excavator to do the work above
-Crew worked 2 full days
-All heavy equipment work done across artificial turf requiring leap frogging boards and plywood to get to trees

I know that we all need to know how much we each need to make on any particular job. But I am curious to know what others would want to make after purchase of materials and paying subcontractor.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m a little confused, the way it’s worded it sounds like you already completed the job?

Reading several of your posts, are you just not comfortable in the bidding process?

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, I have completed this job. There were several firsts for me in this job — subcontracting out some of the labor, installing such large specimens, and the unique challenge of working on artificial turf.

My question is just out of curiosity— what would you want to make on this project.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Again, your question begets more questions. What was the cost for the subs? What was the cost of goods sold? How much was equipment rental? Haul off and disposal? Without knowing any of these numbers, all you get is a guess. Not trying to start a cyber punching match, but without definitive numbers, who knows? I could say 35-55%, but just a guess.

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
Again, your question begets more questions. What was the cost for the subs? What was the cost of goods sold? How much was equipment rental? Haul off and disposal? Without knowing any of these numbers, all you get is a guess. Not trying to start a cyber punching match, but without definitive numbers, who knows? I could say 35-55%, but just a guess.
COGS — $13K
Sun/equipment rental/removal/disposal — $6K

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
I would charge 2/3 the price of the tree to transport/install, per tree, plus whatever hourly rate you have for labor. If they had then delivered, I’d still charge based on having to handle each one. Pita factor for the maneuvering the skid/plywood around. But let’s say if you did 40%, your ok. There’s guys on here that seem to settle for much less. I wouldn’t be one of them!

Top Forums