Lawn Care Forum banner

How Much $$$

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Watson's Landscaping 
#1 ·
O.K. guys all of you could do this job with your eyes closed, by I would like to get an idea of how much I should charge for this job. Is a 40' long wall by 4' high and at the ends it going to turn in by 2'. From what I can figure He's looking at $2000 just in bricks (I'm looking to use Rockwood blocks) But i'm open to any idea's. So if u guys could throw out some idea's and prices that would be great. :confused:

#2 ·
boy i love these "how much" threads. :)

if this message board also offered expert coaching on love making, a man would have all he needs! :drinkup:

#5 ·
I think you should figure our how long it will take you & bid accordingly. Or sub it out to someone that knows what they're doing. You could even sit there & watch them work so you can learn how to do it.

#6 ·
overhead+materials+labor+profit=total price
this is dependent on access etc. there is no set price only a method of figuring out how YOU can make a living based on your overhead and labor and material, delivery charges etc.
I have a guy in my area that does versa lock walls for $19 a sq ft. I can't do a wall for less than $35 a sq ft and make money. your area might be different.
BTW, try the search feature and you might find this has been discussed once or twice.

#8 ·
Oh man all you guys were a great big HELP think I'll go with $100,000 for this job since one of you great helpers said between $2,000 and $150,000. Just wish I could get a little really help with my ? seems like all you guys forgot that at one time (when you started) you didn't have that great of ideas either. Its always great you I get answers from this site, and I try to remember why I even came on here !!!! :realmad:

#9 ·
The POINT they are trying to make, is that if you don't have the knowledge to bid this correctly, then it's likely you don't have the knowledge to BUILD it correctly either.

PS - don't ask me what I'm doing in the hardscaping forum, I'm just hiding behind a tree observing:)

#10 ·
I think my answerr was very helpful.
figure out how much it costs you to live each month including every dime you spend on everything from cigarettes to vehicle maintenance. Thats your overhead. divide that by 20 days and you have your daily nut. add labor, materials, and how much profit you want to make and you have your price for the job. this will be different in every state and every area.
if you want to give a per sq ft price, divide that # by the total sq ft.

#11 ·
well i figure since everyone else is given there 2 cents i might as well to. what there sayin is right but guys come on hes tryin to learn as is everyone else thats why we are all here. so instead of just tellin him to quit before he even starts is kind of ignorant dont you think. any ways this is what i think the wall your talkin about is pretty big you may not think so becuase its only 40' long but its the hieght thats the killer i dont no about there but here after 3' you need a building permit and geo grid frabric to things you dont wanna deal with on your first wall job why dont you convince them to step it back so you build to say 2 2' walls insteand of a 4' wall looks better and alot easyer IMO then when your at the yard bying the block ask as many questions as you possible can (those places are a gold mine of info) then ask them if any of the block companys are puttin on seminars. i no ive gone to a couple and atlas block (allen block in the states) puts on amazing ones you really learn alot i hope ive actually helped you out if you have any questoins feel free to pm me and ill try and help you as much as possible

#12 ·
I think i've said this before but here we go again. Take landscape out of your name change it to lawn care and stick to that. Why would you want bid on somthing your not qualified to build?
hey bishope i never got anything back from you whats your going rate on sod and hydro, that is if you dont mind sharing this info with us. mine is .10 and .21
thats with little or no ground prep?

#13 ·
haha no they think theres is the smallest they want us to think theres is the biggest lol

#14 ·
Okey kid here goes nothing. When i built my first wall there was no internet in my home or places like this. It was a wall 4 couses high 15' long each end corning back to a back porch 4', a planter really. I called the company selling block asked how many regular block, corner block, caps, gravel, and some advise on how to do there product. I had my costs and i thought i would like to make $1,000.00 off it. I bidded that price got the job and pulled it off the other 200 + walls i built since then i learned to bid in a better prof. way. This is called experience, it might not of been the best, prettiest way but i was able to figure something out on my own. I sure as hell didnt call my competion or someone out of town and ask okey joe what should i charge for this. If your in business learn the elements of business. These guys on this site are prof. and very respectfull but they are not going to do your job for you. Get some experience like i just stated and things will happen. Nothing in this world is free, go out and hustle.
Mike

#15 ·
hey no body said to call up the local compatition and see what they would charge and your right the guys on here are pros or at least must of them but just kuz you think your a pro doesnt mean when someone asks for help on a price you have to be a jerk (not sayin you were just in general) but some one could have explained it alot nicer then it was put on here instead of sayin dont do it say go take a course first like i did. im good at what i do but i no i dont no everything and you no what if i dont no something i will call up one of the other companys around all of who i no and they have no problem answering my question. and they do the same with me. if everyone works together we all look a hell of alot better as a industry dont you think.

#16 ·
hey i aint no farm boy i just think everyone deserves a chance and as for math class i did pay attention hess my masters in mathimatics but come on guys i think we are wastein our time here argueing. i think if we add up all the time we waste sittin here argueing in a week we could have prolly done another 10,000 in bussiness so lets just call it even and go back to what we are good at making peoples yards beautiful

#19 ·
Ok guys thanks alot the 2nd page of replys were much more helpful then the first page, and just a fyi this isn't my first wall its number 4 but the first one of this size. Thanks alot to all, and I'll try to post some picks when I'm done, Its going to be awile the client wants to wait till fall, but I'm pushen for and end of Aug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.