How often blade sharpening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awayne, May 7, 2017.

1. awayne

awayne LawnSite Member

I have seen other threads that people do daily changes... Every other weekly etc.

Well I just changed mine out yesterday with 33 hours on the clock and my neighbor looked them over and said they were still in good shape. Yes they had a few little nicks here and there but overall in great shape. He took a file to them and cleaned them up in 5 min. Balance checked them and they were all good. I had a new set that I put on so we will see how much better the new ones are compared to the ones I took off.

I asked him if he felt they needed to be changed out yet and he said not really. If I had 33 hours on them he feels I could go atleast double with them if not a little bit more.

This is coming from someone that is a retired Machinist so he knows what he is talking about.

So unless you are hitting alot of rocks or whatever all the time a daily blade change is for sure no doubt over kill.

hort101 likes this.
  2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i sharpen mine once a week. i hit stuff all the time. sticks, pine cones, sweet gum balls, roots(sometimes), etc. etc.

after 50-100hrs i toss the blades since they are worn down too much. sandy soil here so they don't last very long. i go through about 4-5 sets of blades a year.

Dawson likes this.
  3. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw this mentioned in another thread and thought it nailed it on the head. It's not only what the blade LOOKS like or HOW LONG it's been since it was last sharpened.

More importantly, what type of cut is it leaving? Look at the blades of grass closely.....are they being "ripped" or torn? Or, are they being cut cleanly?

Maybe not as big of an issue on junk grass/junk yards. But, you get into straight bluegrass or fescue, high profile areas, weed free, treated and irrigated.....it's the difference beteeen a healthy cut job and a rip job. Also the difference between leaving brown or a white colored edge on the grass blades which doesn't give a good look when viewing the lawn as a whole.

4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Texas

. It depends on the grass the yard and soil condition. Here its everyday. The sandy soil here kills blades. If a blade last 40 its lucky here. By then the sweeps are getting thin.

Corey B and weeze like this.
  5. awayne

awayne LawnSite Member

True about the Sandy soil... We have regular dirt... Clay in many spots so you don't have to worry about sucking sould up at all lol.

Just rocks, sticks etc.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Also if blades get overheating they lose their temper and won't hold an edge for very longThumbs Up

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  7. awayne

awayne LawnSite Member

I'm going to be purchasing some g5 gator blades for it as well so I will change them out again at 66 hours just to see how the brand new ones did for the same amount of time.

I have only 2 properties I have to watch for roots as of right now. Hopefully no more to be added lol

8. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

Yeah, I had one lose it's temper with me and spit sparks in my face...

9. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

I find that it's not that they get dull but the tips of the blade start getting rounded more the longer you run them . Ideally keeping the tip of the blade square is important as it is what gives your blade proper overlap with each other. As the corners get rounded your tip to tip dimension gets shorter and the blades are measured diagonally tip to tip . Once they get too far gone it takes a lot of metal removal to get the tips square again. I find if I touch them up about every 8 hrs of cutting it's a quick couple strokes through the sharpener and they are ready to go. Plus I also like blowing out air filters at the same 8hr interval due to OCD issues. My .02

Blainethompson and hort101 like this.
  10. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Senior Member

No, this doesn't mean he knows jack about grass. 8-10 hours is the recommendation.

chris6439 and RDALawns like this.