Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having to sharpen the blades on my exmark walkbehinds about every day and it still seems to be missing a lot of grass (esp. crab grass). the blades just wont stay sharp. How often do you buy new blades?

· Registered
1,693 Posts
I inspect them everyday and sharpen if needed but I go no longer than 10 hrs between sharpenings.

· Registered
224 Posts
different regions different grass...... hard question to answer.. I sharpen them once a week. clean the underside of decks every evening, and if I see a damaged blade that i can sharpen then i sharpen it if it needs replacing i replace it....

· Registered
1,432 Posts
i sharpen mine daily, or swap out the dull blades for already sharpened blades, but replacing, i would say when the blade does not have the right angle from sharpening. when i was in ohio, i would put new blades on once a year, but being in florida, its every 2 to 3 months, more often now with the grass growing so fast . seems like i just ordered new blades and its time again...but it makes a big difference with new from re-sharpened blades.

· Registered
30 Posts
I bought blades from a guy on ebay he makes them per mfg specs. then he heat treats them. I can't believe how long they stay sharp much better than the scag blades I was buying for 12-14 dollars a pop and the scag blades are very good. sorry I don't have his site now I will add it later. :cool2:

· Banned
23,143 Posts
I used to do it daily but with the drought and some days only a few yards get cut...

So I found a new method: I now change them anytime I put gas in it :p
I made a rule for myself: Don't put gas in it without doing the rest.
It is all a part of this little maintenance thing I do: Gas, grease, blades, inspect tire psi's, check oil, check air filter pre-cleaner.
The other thing is I don't do one without the others, so if I don't forget!

Actually works out great, easy to remember, always about the same number of hours between, and so on...
Once it runs low on fuel, time to do the do.
And it can run another day without maintenance if I only did a few.

As for blade purchases...
I used to buy a lot of blades, I kept buying until I had enough, I'd say I bought roughly a dozen every year for a bit of a while.
Now with the drought I can't afford to buy much, money is tight but I have them already and that helps, too!
I'd say I have around 30 for the Wb's, either 9 or 12 for the Z.
That also helps, far as sharpening, I sharpen up a bunch at a time then come maintenance I just swap out.
Still a bit of a pain but it's not as bad.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
What I do is, when the blades are getting rounded off at the ends, or are no longer coming near close enough under the deck due to wear, THAT is when they need to be replaced. Probably once every few months of use in my case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.