Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how often do you sharpen your blades and how many sets do you have? what do you use to sharpen them?
i sharpen mine every 2-6 lawns depending on size.
i have 2 sets for each mower.
i use a hand grinder to sharpen them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
bobby, bobby, bobby,Seems like you are getting a little lax. First your insurance is gone and now the dull blades? Tisk, tisk

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
geeeez, i rarely change my blades that often, i mow like 30 a week on my mower, and i change them every 1.5 - 2 months. I guess you guys have small pebbles for turf, but my blades are in grade condition and the grass looks perfect after im done:-\ im cutting st augustine and bermuda, am i missing something here?

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
geeeez, i rarely change my blades that often, i mow like 30 a week on my mower, and i change them every 1.5 - 2 months. I guess you guys have small pebbles for turf, but my blades are in grade condition and the grass looks perfect after im done:-\ im cutting st augustine and bermuda, am i missing something here?
do you sharpen them at least once a week?

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Your also using a 21" mower. You cant scalp with one of those, and you certainly can stop and pickup a lot more visible debris when your walking behind a small mower. I sharpen my Lawnboy blade about 2-3 times a year, and even when its dull, it still cuts just fine. But then its limited to a maximum 3" cut height.

If someone is using a high performance 60" or larger ZTR and cutting above 3.5" and is going LONGER than 20hrs between sharpenings, I want to see your results.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Blades are sharpened after about 4- 6 hours of use (sooner if needed). I would say we probably have 4 - 6 sets of blades for each machine (11 total)...2 or 3 sets being hi-lifts and 2 or 3 being gators.

I go through a couple of grinding wheels each year cause to send them out @ $5 per blade would really add up.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I try to change mine ones a week. Sometimes they don't even need it then.

When I first put the sharp blades on there razor sharp. I lose that on the first yard. The sharpness that the blades have after the first or second yard stays for a long time.
We must have soft grass in Rhode Island. I haven't put sharp blades on my machine in a week and half. Its still cutting superior. Luck is with me, though. I haven't hit any rocks or anything since the last blade change.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I owe it to my customers and to my equipment to keep the blades as sharp as possible. If the edge on your blades won't cut you with the slightest touch... they're not sharp enough. If you keep the blades razor sharp the mower will glide through thick grass without laboring and the finished job will look better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We sharpen our blades everyday of cutting. We mulch all lawns and cut about 44 to 54 lawns per day, four days aweek. We use a bench grinder and have two sets for each mower, St. Augustine grass. I feel sharpening everyday maintains the edge and doesn't take long.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.