• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How often do you sharpen your blades?

I'm looking for more of an hours based answer, I guess, since we all mow different amounts per day or week.

twins_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm part time here, and I sharpen my blades every week, which turns out to be about every 10-12 hours.

jeffreyj77

LawnSite Member
I also try to sharpen blades at least once a week. I would only sharpen them more often if I accidentally hit something. I always try my best to be careful when mowing, and not to hit anything that could damage them or make them dull quicker.

lawnranger44

LawnSite Senior Member
Part time, every 10-12 hours. Even then the blades usually aren't THAT bad, but we sharpen them anyway to make sure they are perfect.
Also scrape and service mowers every 10-12 hours. We end up doing it once a week.

Once every two weeks........

amar

LawnSite Member
I envy you all. Our blades on two riders get changed one to two times a day. Sand, sticks, and careless employees. The machines get about 4-6 hours before we change them.

Hire slow Fire fast!

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
After about 5 hours or so in the Spring...Summer a bit more on them between sharpening.