how often do you southern guys mow in the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ready to Mow, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

This has been a weird winter. It seems not even the leaves are really falling. Then we had a freeze which rarely happens and it seems it completely killed off the grass on most yards. One thing that has boggled my mind is I still see a good amount of guys coming on a regular basis to service a lawn. Personally I try and come twice a month during the winter time. The temps have been pretty steady so I guess that's why the leaves aren't too bad. You would think I would have tons of customers calling telling me to stop mowing until next season, but nobody ever does. Is continuing to come once a week during the winter in the south just the norm?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

We dont mow.

KB Lawn Care, weeze, RussellB and 2 others like this.
  3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Ready, where are you located?

I still visit my yards on a regular basis for leaves/pine straw, the grass-warm season more less stops growing where I'm at

4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Only mowing we do is to mulch leaves. Or mow the couple yards with winter grass in January.

JLSLLC and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  5. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Central Florida and it definitely slows down but it never stops. I'm cutting most of my yards once every 2 or 3 weeks right now...some bahia\weedy yards can go 4 or 5 weeks between cuts but most St Augustine yards still need a cut every 2 or 3 weeks. A few hard freezes can change that but we rarely get a hard enough freeze for that, at least not in the last 7 years or so.
    The oak leaves are starting to fall but they don't fall heavy around here until later Feb into March.

6. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

A few of my St. Augustine yards I’m doing about every three weeks when it comes to mowing. But I’m still at the majority of my yards weekly for leaf/acorn/pecan pickup, keeping the driveways and patios clean.

JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

I’m on a bi-weekly schedule until early to mid March. Then I’ll assess my lawns and make the decision to going back to weekly.

8. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Gold Member

The freeze we had really messed things up for me. Now the only yards I'm doing are the ones with leaves.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I hear it’s fairlh common practice to overseed with cool season turf grass and keep mowing year round with a nice green lawn, then when it gets hot the cool season grass dies and you overseed again in the fall.
    Kinda like how we treat annual rye up here it will die every winter, but if you seed with it, it will grow the fastest and beat the weeds to germination every time
    But if you don’t have other grass seeds , you’ll have a dead lawn come spring

GrassManKzoo and RDALawns like this.
  10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

You'd hate it up north then, it was like that here for me for a while