How often you change belts/ Dealer support

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have about 100 hours on my ZTR and last week I shredded a hydro drive belt while mowing. How often do you change your belts??

Since I had no spare and my WB was too small for this prop my whole day was shot and the mower could not be moved. I called the dealer who said they had one belt in stock. I drove to the dealer but when I got there they could not find the belt. The dealer was nice enough to remove the belt from a mower in the showroom so that I could finish my jobs. Thats the type of support I need!! I also ordered one spare belt for each mower, so this never happens again.

Jimbo

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

On my Exmark walkbehind I change the tranny belt about once a year. I have changed the deck belt once in four years and never the drive belts. My Dixie is on the original belts after 850 hours.

3. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

What kind of ztr is it Jimbo.

4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We only change belts as needed. I have found that alot of the belts, such as the blade to blade belts on the deck (if they are not serpentine), will last years without any problems. We check the belts regularly, it is pretty obvious when one is going bad.

Considering the cost of belts (especially from the manufacturer), to replace a perfectly good belt "just because" seems a big waste of money. We keep the old belts (if still at all usable) as emergency backups, and usually try to get the dealer to throw in a couple of new ones with a mower purchase.

5. rlmelton

rlmelton LawnSite Member

I change my belts out on my Dixie about every 900 hrs or before the first of the mowing season. You can work on a piece of equipment, or you can work on a piece of equipment .When you consider how much money a 12 or 14 hr day you can make with your equipment, PMs(preventative maintenance) is the only way to go.Also backup equipment works for me too. 2 mowers, 4 trimmers, 2 edgers, 3 blowers.

6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) On my rider ive put over 500hrs on the 3rd belt, but i bought a new Scag 52" hydro walkbehind and i change the cutter belt when it breaks which is around every 125hrs im on my fouth belt now, I think its got to do with the blade tip speed, there Tigers used to be 19000, my waldbehind is way up there also.....Marks Mowing Service

7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) On my rider ive put over 500hrs on the 3rd belt, but i bought a new Scag 52" hydro walkbehind and i change the cutter belt when it breaks which is around every 125hrs im on my fouth belt now, I think its got to do with the blade tip speed, there Tigers used to be 19000, my waldbehind is way up there also.....Marks Mowing Service

8. Me too. I keep replacements on the truck. I just keep them away from gas & oils. I've heard just the fumes from gas can deteriorate them quicker than if they were in service.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am running a Scag 52" Tiger Cub mower. I do run this mower very hard so I expect the belts to wear quicker than normal. However, Richards belt life far exceeds the results Mark P, and I have seen on our mowers.

Mark- How hard do you run your mowers?

Jimbo