Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am older than dirt, but I got a 7 year old boy. Great kid, very smart, big for his age. Plays baseball and football.

Before you ask why I got a kid young enough to be my grand kid, young girls just won't stay away from me. I try telling them. I think it's the pot belly and bald head.

Anyways, I say he can operate a walk behind. He is plenty big, weighs 100 pounds. 54 or so inches tall .

His mom says no. I got listen to her, because I ended up marrying her.

Honest opinion, 7 yr old to young to operate a walk behind with supervision?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd honestly be very hesitant. One slip and he has a mangled foot (or worse) for life. Even if under supervision, you aren't holding onto him and things happen fast. What if he is stung by a wasp and momentarily loses attention? Or slips and falls (yes, it happens on flat ground). And I know that each young person ages and matures at a different rate. But in my mind it isn't worth it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
What are you feeding that kid? I got a 12yo that isn’t that big.

Every kid is different. There isn’t a magic age. You’re the parent, you decide. Why in the world would you consult the internet for parenting advice? I could care less what anyone else thinks about my parenting choices. They’re my kids, I’ll raise them as I see fit. If you think he’s ready, put him to mowing. Go talk to your wife, not the internet.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The simple answer is no.
Even on a farm the minimum age for any job is 12.

At that point a lot depends on whether it is paid work or not.
This doesn't cover safety, just child labor laws:

Then as far as I know, 12 for 21", 16 for riding mowers UNDER 20 PTO horsepower.
Might want to read up on some proper methods, also I would highly suggest training.
Once he reaches 12 years of age, that is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
The kid that bought my stander was younger and smaller than I could have expected ( came with his dad and grandpap) - and I grew up slinking out to milk cows and clean stalls when I was still getting paid with milk & cookies. It was not his first rodeo, showed him the layout and he was off. testing it just like any of us would.

Around the house and friends/family’s- if he’s capable, with supervision, why not.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I had my kid mowing on a wide open commercial account when he was 13-14 (Big Ferris z) and was told I was breaking child labor laws. Commercial account said stop or I was out. Called the DOL and they said he couldn’t use a power mower until something like 15 1/2 years old (I don’t remember the exact age anymore). Before that be tween the ages 9-12 he rain my 44” Brodmoor just fine.

Like was said, every kid is different.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't put him on a client's yard, his lines will be all crooked.....LOL. Just thought I would let him learn in the backyard.

I wouldn't ever forgive myself if something happen, but at the same time I don't want him to be so risk adversed that he doesn't know anything or is scared to try something.

I try to let him use my tools and stuff just so he knows how a screw driver and wrenches work. You got to get them outside or they will play video games and watch youtube all day.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had my kid mowing on a wide open commercial account when he was 13-14 (Big Ferris z) and was told I was breaking child labor laws. Commercial account said stop or I was out. Called the DOL and they said he couldn’t use a power mower until something like 15 1/2 years old (I don’t remember the exact age anymore). Before that be tween the ages 9-12 he rain my 44” Brodmoor just fine.

Like was said, every kid is different.
In my experience, kids that work when they are young always turn out more mature and better able to handle a job as an adult.

But hell, i work with some 26 year olds I wouldn't trust with a mower, like you say everyone is different.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
In my experience, kids that work when they are young always turn out more mature and better able to handle a job as an adult.

But hell, i work with some 26 year olds I wouldn't trust with a mower, like you say everyone is different.
Agreed!! When my guy was 13 I took him to a commercial account when they were closed to work the 21 on several small, easy spots. 10 minutes in, I came around the corner and saw him LAZILY mowing some candy wrappers INTO the bushes lol!!! I about soiled myself!!! I was just stewing on my next two passes. So, when he went around the other side of the building, I quickly grabbed some paper and a couple old fast food bags and wrappers (messy ketchup and ranch stained stuff) out of my truck, ripped it into dozens of pieces, and stuffed em in the bushes all along the whole side (about 80 feet). Later, when he thought he was done and thought it was time to chill in the truck, I said, “Oh hey. I forgot to mention we gotta clean any garbage out of the bushes. Sorry I forgot to bring gloves! I’m almost done with my stuff and then I’ll help you.” I took my time.

I still haven’t told him I did that. But he picks stuff up right away still today.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
7 years old is far too young to be 'working' on a mowing crew and the adolescent mind is not developed enough to handle any safety issues that will present themselves. It just isn't a good look. With that said, I have had suppliers with children under 15 loading supplies with bobcats. These kids are born into it and were running machines at around 5 years old on their own. I worked at a company where my boss was doing commercial snowplowing at 13 years old. His dad was able to leave vehicles on site for him and his brother to use.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The simple answer is no.
Even on a farm the minimum age for any job is 12.

At that point a lot depends on whether it is paid work or not.
This doesn't cover safety, just child labor laws:

Then as far as I know, 12 for 21", 16 for riding mowers UNDER 20 PTO horsepower.
Might want to read up on some proper methods, also I would highly suggest training.
Once he reaches 12 years of age, that is.
Hate to tell you, but on the farm, we do what we want. No one talks about child labor laws. No one complains, no one turns it in. It’s just how it is.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts