Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nothing illegal has been discussed or admitted to. You are 100% within the letter of the law able to let your kids work at home, or on your own farm. Labor law would only apply if your kid worked for me on my farm. Then there are laws to follow.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Crazy 4 grass

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Nothing illegal has been discussed or admitted to. You are 100% within the letter of the law able to let your kids work at home, or on your own farm. Labor law would only apply if your kid worked for me on my farm. Then there are laws to follow. Been a farmer my whole life. You are just googling info again and trying to play expert. Farm is exempt from a whole lot of things. Including, but not limited to, driver’s license for those under driving age if they are driving between the farm location and a field or second location. But only if it is on their families farm.
It's not about you!
It's that anyone else READS YOUR information, decides to do it themselves, THEIR child GETS HURT!
AND $250,000 in medical bills later, calls a lawyer who SUES YOU!

Because they read it here on Lawnsite!

They won't care, especially if you come off recalcitrant and surly, they'll clean that farm right out from under you... Aren't you married, don't you have certain interests to protect?
Are you seriously so shortsighted?

And since you couldn't stop yourself from throwing a few barbs my way...
Maybe you should stop using starting fluid / carburetor cleaner.
Strong fumes, I'm telling you.

Reactions: TXSteve

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
It's not about you!
It's that anyone else READS YOUR information, decides to do it themselves, THEIR child GETS HURT!

They won't care, especially if you come off recalcitrant and surly, they'll clean that farm right out from under you... Aren't you married, don't you have certain interests to protect?

I get what you’re saying Mr. Mickey Mouse. But take a breath (or put down the Red Bull) - I don’t think any folks are gonna read ONE post on here, and then go out and follow that ONE poster’s advice without doing a decent amount of further vetting. If he does, that’s not too smart imo.

Honestly, I don’t know one farmer who even has time to read anything online

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mow by your self, are you done earlier. Then you have time to play baseball, football or whatever. So he can lose some pounds.

I’ve a 5yrs old daughter. I like to downhill or bike some trails with her. Life is too short to do the enjoyable things with them.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's not about you!

Yeah...,, Um, there’s no legality in a post on a forum. You really think in a court of law that someone would actually testify, “But your honor, a man on the internet told me it was ok!!!” No... you are responsible for your own actions. Which is why I stated every kid is different. Some are able at younger ages than others. I will repeat my very first statement... if you need to survey the internet for advice such as this because you can’t figure it out on your own, well...... it is what it is. But no, there’s no legality or legal responsibility to any of this. It’s a conversation. No laws are being broken. People can make up their own mind. My words are not responsible for anyone else’s actions. Calm down brother. Take a breath.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah...,, Um, there’s no legality in a post on a forum. You really think in a court of law that someone would actually testify, “But your honor, a man on the internet told me it was ok!!!” No... you are responsible for your own actions. Which is why I stated every kid is different. Some are able at younger ages than others. I will repeat my very first statement... if you need to survey the internet for advice such as this because you can’t figure it out on your own, well...... it is what it is. But no, there’s no legality or legal responsibility to any of this. It’s a conversation. No laws are being broken. People can make up their own mind. My words are not responsible for anyone else’s actions. Calm down brother. Take a breath.
Whatever dude, I didn't even read that, go fly a kite.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I get what you’re saying Mr. Mickey Mouse. But take a breath (or put down the Red Bull) - I don’t think any folks are gonna read ONE post on here, and then go out and follow that ONE poster’s advice without doing a decent amount of further vetting. If he does, that’s not too smart imo.

Honestly, I don’t know one farmer who even has time to read anything online
Oh but you do, matter of fact your reply (and this one) wouldn't exist if a farmer hadn't got into it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Oh but you do, matter of fact your reply (and this one) wouldn't exist if a farmer hadn't got into it.
Sidemouse - farmers around here wear adult diapers because they don’t have time to use the bathroom. There are no words to express my respect for those folks and their families. That was my point.

That being said, I sense something is off here. You are extremely aggressive in this thread (towards some of us who have shown you nothing but respect) all the while you sit on the throne as The KING of calling people out for the slightest disagreement with you, or for yip yapping at you in a negative way when they haven’t, as berating you. And yet here you are, acting in the same manner you pro-port to despise. Your post history will confirm that, and others will back me on that.

Not sure if you found some shrooms you thought were morels and they weren’t, or if you’re hitting the sauce harder than usual (both of which make me envious) but your recent posts cause my beaver dam flags to snap up rather quickly, Sir.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
My boys are now 13 and 11

They've been running excavators, skid steers and our 997's since they were around the age of 7 or 8. They've mowed ballfields and schools for the last 2 years.

Sue me, fine me call me a bad parent I don't really give a $hit. I remember being ten running a cable skidder through the woods and setting chokers and I believe I'm a better person for it.

Don't go against their mothers wishes but there is no reason a young adult (with proper supervision) can't operate equipment IMHO

·
Registered
784 Posts
My boys are now 13 and 11

They've been running excavators, skid steers and our 997's since they were around the age of 7 or 8. They've mowed ballfields and schools for the last 2 years.

Sue me, fine me call me a bad parent I don't really give a $hit. I remember being ten running a cable skidder through the woods and setting chokers and I believe I'm a better person for it.

Don't go against their mothers wishes but there is no reason a young adult (with proper supervision) can't operate equipment IMHO
Couldn’t agree more.

Just for statement purposes, if I wasn’t clear, I have no problem whatsoever with “kids” running equipment. It’s just not a question I would have posed on an Internet forum.

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOL. Why not? Just wanted to know what others thought.
Well, some people responded positively. Some negatively. Some were vehemently against it to the point (I’m certain) of thinking you are a bad parent for even considering it. Some of us grew up around machinery and see no issue with it.... but not a single one of us really know you, or your son, or your wife. Maybe she’s a bit on the protective side. Maybe your son is immature and accident prone and has no business running a mower. Maybe your wife is a reasonable person and your boy is agile and mature. Point is, no one here can evaluate the situation better than those inside your inner family and friend circle. It’s just not a question I would pose to anyone outside those I’m closest to.

Now, if the question literally was, “At what age did you personally start running equipment, or what age did you start letting your kids operate equipment?” That’s a completely reasonable question to be posed online.

Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
781 Posts
All my equipment has safety features.
My 2007 metros if you are not holding the handles . When in gear or blades are engaged. It will shutdown.
When I trained someone to use them metros. I would put them in a open flat area. Tell them if it gets away from you.
To Just let it go. It will shutdown.
The 30 toro you have to hold the bar to engage the blades.
The VR2 you have to stand on the platform with the safety brake on.
To start it.
If blades are engaged. You step off the platform it will shutdown.
I'm not aware of any of safety features on a sit down mower.
Never been on one.
Anyhow. I believe safety features has come along ways Over the year's.
I would let kids try it.
With all safety features in working order.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sidemouse - farmers around here wear adult diapers because they don’t have time to use the bathroom. There are no words to express my respect for those folks and their families. That was my point.

That being said, I sense something is off here. You are extremely aggressive in this thread (towards some of us who have shown you nothing but respect) all the while you sit on the throne as The KING of calling people out for the slightest disagreement with you, or for yip yapping at you in a negative way when they haven’t, as berating you. And yet here you are, acting in the same manner you pro-port to despise. Your post history will confirm that, and others will back me on that.

Not sure if you found some shrooms you thought were morels and they weren’t, or if you’re hitting the sauce harder than usual (both of which make me envious) but your recent posts cause my beaver dam flags to snap up rather quickly, Sir.
I am sorry, a certain someone seems to have made it their mission to insult me every time they get a chance (although looking at their post history I'm not the only one they do it to so I can only guess that it's not a personal affront and even if it was I can just ignore it, and I do if or when I can). I won't mention names and I do my best to ignore this member but this time I simply couldn't, then when the rest of you proceeded to use that to start pounding on me too I got defensive.

And yes I get sensitive of criticism, especially when an insult is thrown in with it. The thing is you also couldn't seem to stop yourself from throwing yet another little snide insult so let me make one thing clear:
I don't use any mind altering drugs, that includes nicotine and caffeine.
I don't drink alcohol, I don't do meth, no legal or other kind of marijuana, no crack, no coke, no heroin, no extacy, no "office duster" nor any other inhalant, I don't huff gasoline, no bath salts, no nothing at all, I am 100% clean and clear at all times. I even curb soda intake and wouldn't hardly drink it at all but my wife keeps the house stocked so it's hard to get away from. And yes soda contains caffeine but I really limit my intake of that stuff. Most of what I take in is water, some is flavored with kool-aid or water enhancers (but without caffeine), sometimes I drink a bit of milk.

I'm not kidding, most of what I drink is water, about a gallon a day of that... I even watch which direction the wind is blowing when I put fuel in a machine because those fumes can be harmful, even if you can't "Feel" it. I'm also very careful around chemicals such as ether (contained in carb cleaner and starting fluid, which are actually the same thing) and acetone as well.

So I assure you it's not the drugs, it's not the caffeine, it's not the nicotine, it's not the THC or the CBD or whatever either. If that is the case with some of you however it might be worth checking into, I have found quite often it is what affects attitude negatively.

And please stop it with the personal insults, I am not saying I'm perfect but it doesn't look good and it won't end well for any of us.

·
Registered
781 Posts
What safety features is on the equipment everyone is using ?
I know a grandstand that the platform can be raised. To be used as a walk behind. What safety feature are on that.
Or has anyone seen in a owner manual of a age to use equipment.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What safety features is on the equipment everyone is using ?
Like what features did they come out with? Or what features did I keep intact and working?
Most safety devices are for the weak minded, poorly trained and inexperienced. They can turn a perfectly safe situation into a really dangerous one in a hurry for an experienced operator. Or, they can save life and limb for a foolish and inexperienced operator. I’d prefer not to say what safety features my machines utilize.

And yes, almost every piece of equipment has a recommendation for the age in which to operate it. It’s about as useful as the safety features and emission control devices the machine has on it.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Side mouse - “another” snide insult? What was the first?? It seemed like You were fired up (and you just confirmed you were). So I tried to use a little lite humor to talk you off the ledge, so to speak. I‘m not a druggie either and don’t think you are either - it wouldn’t constitute humor if either of us was, right?

We all have a little history with a handful of different members; some good history and some not so good history. And you and I have some history now too. The best I can do is make mental notes about what you’re sensitive about, and what doesn’t seem to trip your trigger - and then avoid what bothers you. And I’ll do that, Sir. All I ask in return is that you be patient with me - and from this point fwd please do not lash out at me for intentionally offending or insulting you, because that will not be my intention. I find that assumption to be a bit of an attack on my character, which is also offensive (now you’re learning a little bit about me too!!). I do try not to take out my issues with certain members, on others members, too. I apologize if my comments offended you. That certainly was not my intention (if it was, I would have gone right for the jugular and I’m sure many would hit that little “report” button :))

Have a nice day, Sir.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Most safety devices are for the weak minded, poorly trained and inexperienced. They can turn a perfectly safe situation into a really dangerous one in a hurry for an experienced operator. Or, they can save life and limb for a foolish and inexperienced operator. I’d prefer not to say what safety features my machines utilize.
So if you get injured operating a piece of equipment that you have disabled the safety features on and the insurance company finds out, will they still pay your expenses?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
So if you get injured operating a piece of equipment that you have disabled the safety features on and the insurance company finds out, will they still pay your expenses?
yes, Insurance covers your own negligence. To get out of paying you they would have prove you harm yourself on purpose in order to defraud the insurance company.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts