Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOW SAFE IS USING DOUBLES? I WANT TO TRY THIS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG. I HAVE A NEW LAZER 60IN 27HP. SOME GUYS SAY THEY ARE MOWING 6 TO 8 IN WET GRASS NO CLUMPING NO CLOGGING ETC. MY MOWER DOES NOT MOW WELL IN THE TALL WET GRASS, I GET CLUMPS GALORE!! WILL DOUBLES SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
DUKE

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
maybe, maybe not. It may solve the problem, but then again it may not. I put doubles on my mowers and yes the clumps did decrease slightly, but the horsepower took a dramatic drop.

I feel that it depends on the type of grass, the type of condition (wet & dry), the type of mower, and the type of operator.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i just went and bought a set of hi-lift gators, how do i go about putting them on. i have a 60inch lazer 27hp. will blades be safe doubled? that was a dumb question, you are running doubles,sorry. should i put the gators on top or bottom? how do you run yours?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have been running doubles now for almost 3 years. No safety issues that I can think of or have come across.
I have the straights on the bottom and the Gators on the top. They are arranged in an X so that they look like a railroad crossing sign. I think the most important thing is to make sure .... I will say again .... make very sure that you have well balanced blades.
As to your question about wet grass, honestly I would not use the second set of Gators, I would use double straight blades for heavy wet grass .... better cut and discharge .... don't even bother trying to bag it. Not going to really change the clumping situation if the grass is that soaking wet, it will stick to everything no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
"do u have to get a longer bolt to run doubles"

If you only have a tiny bit of thread left on your bolts with a single set, you may need to exchange for longer bolts.

lawn perfection,
PLEASE STOP YELLING AT US! ;) Most of us can hear OK here, & the rest of us turn our hearing aids up when necessary. Good luck with the experimenting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry! did not know there was such thing as typing edicate. but if lower case makes you guys happy then it makes me happy. i would say you would need a longer bolt. the bolt on my lazer seems to be plenty long for the doubles.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ran doubles a couple months a go w/ two sets of factory blades and there was no deferents at all besides the clippings going twice as far. So i took them off and went to gators and i love them i can cut 2 1/2 - 3" off and you cant even tell. But this fall i want to run doubles on my John Deere F525 so i can reduce the leaves even more. So what is the best combo for doubles high lifts on bottom with gators on top or just run the gators by them selves. My first experience with doubles was on my '01 PM 260z.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.