1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To adjust RPM on Honda GCV190?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by magbarn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

I have a HRX217HXA with BBC that I use for my smaller accounts and it's been running a little slow. I tached it yesterday at only 3100 with the blade engaged. I maxed out the throttle cable so it's to the point of almost getting the choke to engage so it's not a cable issue. The rpms are also within 50 regardless if the blade is engaged or not so the governor is doing it's job. I heard there's a screw on the carb that I can use to adjust the top speed. Where do I find it? Thanks! I would like to take it to a "safe" rpm of at least 3300-3400.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That model should be running at a max speed of 2950-3100 RPM. No adjustment needed.

3. magbarn

magbarn LawnSite Member

Darn I want a little more blade speed. I guess I'll kill it faster if I run it higher.

4. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

You can adjust the governor spring for more revs (not recommended) as it becomes a 'screamer' (had an old girlfriend like that) :confused: