How to be a champion

Chineau

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow great thread, I have this conversation with everyone who come to work with us.
which is more important, Motivation or Discipline?
I have my answer, yours?
what is your benchmark of success?
More machines, bigger bank account or the ability to run jobs your way and treat people as fair and reasonable as you can.
I will share there is no greater joy than working with my children and developing them as leaders in what we do lawns and landscape and snow.
"what you can conceive and believe you can achieve." (not my quote)
^seems to be working, have a great day.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
1625764048855.png

OP
Chilehead

Chilehead

LawnSite Silver Member
21yrs in business, do what you say. Easy as that. If your gonna be late call. If you do what you say is there anything to complain about? Go get it because 90% of your competitors won’t. Fact. I alway kept motivated because why would I want to make someone else rich if I wouldn’t do it for myself and my family? Do what you say and the work will come. Your gonna have to work so why not for yourself.
This is golden, right here.

Each day your balancing your level of quality against time. You can put in all kinds of time and achieve perfect quality. That won't make you money though. So, you have to find the right balance of time vs quality. The key to becoming a company known for doing excellent work is this balance between time and quality. 1st thing to do when you put someone else in charge of a crew is to ensure this person knows what is acceptable concerning quality. The rest works its self out generally.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
ONCE, I took the time to mow & trim a lawn perfectly, down to the last detail...and it took a week to do so. When I turned around to admire my work, the lawn had grown back.
Bottom line: being OCD can be a hindrance in this profession. Just personally glad I don't have this demon.

Oworks1

LawnSite Member
Four decades and I still don't want to do anything else. My father told me that being successful was never allowing anyone else to expect more of me than I expect from myself every time out. He was absolutely right on target. Success is different to everyone who enters the arena. Success changes with age and experience. About a dozen times a year I will correct a client or potential client when they refer to my "competitor". With a slight grin and some laughter in my voice I say, "I'm not real sure what you mean but I don't have any competitors. No one in this business does what we do." In my sixties now, I still mow and get my hands in the dirt on a daily business. I wouldn't have it any other way. Are we the largest company in town ? Not even close. Most employees ? Nope. Biggest trucks ? Nope. Most mowers ? Nope. I refuse to play the spitting contest. But I choose who my clients are and if they don't fit our needs, we pass. It's a great position to be in.
When I started, I talked to a potential customer. When I expanded my services, I talked to a customer. When I needed to increase my customer base, I simply went and talked to my customers. When we are successful, I thank every customer. When we have a rough year, I share it with my customers too. See, I think people want to do business and give their hard earned money to a friend. In what I see as becoming an increasingly impersonal world, success has been given to me by the friendships I have developed along the way and through hard work. I have never run an ad. I have never hung a door hanger and I have never posted for increased business. I just go back to my friends and ask for their help. They know what I am capable of and that I will never let them down. Many are more like family than friends. They care about me, my family, my staff, and our continued success. They have never failed me. I have worked with a waiting list for the last two decades and owe it all to my family, my staff, and my customers. I thank all of them daily for everything they do for our company. I am still a firm believer that a guy or gal will work harder for and "at a boy" than an extra dollar an hour. People want to be appreciated and I let everyone around me know that I appreciate them every day. Not a text, I look them in the eye and let them know how much I appreciate their efforts today.

Last edited:

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
ONCE, I took the time to mow & trim a lawn perfectly, down to the last detail...and it took a week to do so. When I turned around to admire my work, the lawn had grown back.
Bottom line: being OCD can be a hindrance in this profession. Just personally glad I don't have this demon.
There’s such a thing as “commercially acceptable “ service. Most clients won’t know the difference between that and near perfection.

Obviously, though, some do.

grigs04

LawnSite Member
Wow. where to start. Been doing this for twenty years and got to a million gross but still question this occupation. Has just been a struggle with employees, equipment, customers. Other than that you just have to keep pushing forward to make it here. But still no walk in the park. Should of been a barber lol

Top Forums