How to become licensed in applying fertilizer??

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by GreaterMilwLawnscape, Feb 15, 2003.

  1. GreaterMilwLawnscape

    GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member
    Messages: 55

    Hey Lawn Care people, Im just wondering where and what and if there is a test to pass before becoming certified or licensed in fertilizing. I live in wisconsin and I dont know how to go about this so please please help me out!!! SCOTTS LAWNSERVICE IS A RIP OFF AND IM NOT PUTTING UP WITH IT!!!!! They gave me a bid for 2 different sites that are approximently the same size and one was 137 and the other was 232!! How did they get these numbers???????
  2. Haley Lawn Care

    Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC
    Messages: 119

    In NC we have to take a 2 day course on pesticide safety and application. Then we take a 100 question exam to become certified. If you pass the exam you recieve your pesticide license. Also you have 5 years to get 10 credit hours to stay certified. If you dont get your hours you have to go to school again and do the exam again. The people who give the exam is the Dept of Agriculture in NC. You should find the website for your state. Usually they will have all clases and dates posted. You just pick one close to you.

    Hope this helps
  3. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    <a href="">State Pesticide Regulatory Agencies</a> is a directory of all state pesticide regulatory agencies, most with web sites noted.

    <a href="">State Pesticide Safety Education Program Directory</a> is a directory of all state pesticide educational offices.
  4. Randy Scott

    Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,915

    Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection. Soon to be Wisconsin Department of Agriculture. Trade and Consumer Protection will be seperated and have their own department.

    Anyways, call this number and ask for Brian Swingle. He is in charge of it and will give you all the answers. 1-608-224-4551
  5. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,492

    Here in Michigan, you have to get a certification, and work under someone licensed for two years before you are actually qualified for a license. It is possible that you can hire someone with a license, and that can be applicable to your business. Bear in mind, there is a vast difference being certified, and being licensed.
  6. MOW ED

    MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,028

    oqueoque likes this.
  7. GreaterMilwLawnscape

    GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member
    Messages: 55

    Im only looking to be Fertilizer CERTIFIED not Pesticide
  8. Randy Scott

    Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,915

    You don't need a license for just a straight fertilizer. You need it for any pesticide (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, acaricides, piscicides, and rodenticides). Without any type of weed control abilities you might as well not even enter the playing field. Putting down a straight fertilizer is not going to get the customers turf where they want it. Not in the beginning at least. Once you establish a healthy stand of turf, that will help in the control of weeds, but there may still be the need for some weed control at some time. Also, you cannot even spray roundup in mulch beds without a license in Wisconsin. I strongly suggest getting licensed or sub it out.
  9. GreaterMilwLawnscape

    GreaterMilwLawnscape LawnSite Member
    Messages: 55

    Thanks RandyScott, im looking at becoming certified with weed and feed programs with scotts fertilizer, let me know if that helps. I will not be using any liquid chemicals!
  10. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,968

    Hello Duh Hello

    Weed and Feed is a pesticide.

    What part of the English language don't you under stand. You want me to translate. (quiera que tradujera) Re read the above posts click on the websites

Share This Page