1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

How to become licensed in applying fertilizer??

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by GreaterMilwLawnscape, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

As Ric said, a weed-n-feed contains a herbicide. Therefore, you need licensing. If you are thinking of getting Scott's products from a local store, Steins, Fleet Farm, or wherever, and applying it for customers, you can't. As soon as your service is "for hire" you have to be licensed. Also, you could never compete price wise with products from retail stores. They are almost double what I can buy my product for.

If you have further questions, just e-mail me with a phone number and we can talk a bit on the phone. That would be easier than posting back and forth since were both in the same general area.

2. TheDude12

TheDude12 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have info on getting certified/licensed in the state of Nebraska

3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Google is a good start. Not that hard to figure out.

4. Recoveryman

Recoveryman LawnSite Member

If I were to just apply fertilizer, say the Scotts 4 step program is this a license requirement?

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer--fine--(in most states).
    However--Scotts program includes crabgrass control in the spring and weed control in early summer--both control products are pesticides, of course. License needed, of course. (Federal law--enforced by the states). If you don't mind applying a non-pesticide product four times--say step three, four times--that would work.

6. Recoveryman

I paid the North Carolina Extension Service a visit today. The guy was real helpful and gave me all the info I need. He said it's not a big deal. I have to order the study books and be ready for the test on February 15 2018. There's a core exam and a ornamental shrub and turf exam. It's 100 multiple choice questions and they do a 3 hour review before the 1:00 PM test time. He said the questions are common sense . He has never had anyone miss passing. I'm ordering the study material tonight.
    One other thing he mentioned is I need to have10 hours of education credits in 5 years. He said the best thing to do is 2 hours a year in December when the license renews and it's slow.
    Thanks for the help!!

hort101 likes this.
  7. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

The NC pesticide test may be the easiest of all the tests the state administers but i don't believe that guy has never had anyone miss passing. I've taken that test twice (because i didn't get enough credits before my license expired) in the last 25 years and there is always 25-30% of the class who doesn't pass the first time.

The state does try and trip you up by phrasing those test questions differently. There are terms and formulas that if your not somewhat familiar with them, they will be confusing. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. Study hard and good luck.

8. Recoveryman

Your probably right! I suppose he would want to say it that way to be positive. I have a Class A license with all the endorsements. The hazmat endorsement was not easy. I had to do that one twice.

9. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, he was putting a positive spin on it. I'll bet what he really meant was that all the people who re-tested eventually passed. Just remember that it costs $150 every time you take that test, pass or fail.

I'll bet that hazmat test was way more complex than the pesticide test.

10. Recoveryman

It's all about the money anyway..
    You Betcha! it was. Corrosives, explosives, Yikes!!