1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To Best Edge 1200' Of Mulch Beds?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lawnmedicCC, Mar 14, 2006.

1. lawnmedicCC

lawnmedicCC LawnSite Member

Are shovels the way? Or should I shell out $2500 for a machine? It's my only commercial account, but quite large. Give me your expertise! Thanks.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Just rent a bed edger for the day if that's the only job you really need one for.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We have one property that we edge every year, it's 625 feet of edging and takes about an hour to an hour and a half to do. We spread the soil back into the beds before mulching. There's no removal except a little of the grass debris we get out with a leaf rake. Anyways, depending on the layout of the beds, you could do what you have in half a day or so, also depending on soil type and debris amount.

I for one, try to buy anything I think we may use more in the future. A bed edger is that type of machine. If you really only see the prospect of this one job, or only a couple more, you may want to just rent it for a day. Around here they're $80 for 24 hours.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No future thoughts of growth??? :confused: :confused: Just rent as Hoolie says ^^^^

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you see a future growth and ROI buy, if you forsee limited growth of accounts that would require the machine rent it for day. We couldn't do without our machines.