Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts
This should be the first read when one signs up for the site and they actually have to read the entire thing. Quiz at the end. That's the biggest problem in this industry, idiots that don't know their costs.

This should be the first read when one signs up for the site and they actually have to read the entire thing. Quiz at the end. That's the biggest problem in this industry, idiots that don't know their costs.
This is speculation on my part, but I feel people read these post and once informed go in to denial. There is a ton of fear about raising prices and/or using the numbers they find for their company.

There is too much emphasis put on the going rate and what people will pay. That is relevant, but should never determine what you charge. What people will pay or can afford to pay has nothing to do with our cost of doing business.

So perhaps, some consumers really can't afford what we do at the price we need. This business is not necessarily viable in every neighborhood across the country. The only reason there are so many of us greenies out there, is too many subsidize the clients desire with their own sweat and money.

As a viable business owner, the client needs to provide for us via our services, not the other way around.

This is speculation on my part, but I feel people read these post and once informed go in to denial. There is a ton of fear about raising prices and/or using the numbers they find for their company.

There is too much emphasis put on the going rate and what people will pay. That is relevant, but should never determine what you charge. What people will pay or can afford to pay has nothing to do with our cost of doing business.

So perhaps, some consumers really can't afford what we do at the price we need. This business is not necessarily viable in every neighborhood across the country. The only reason there are so many of us greenies out there, is too many subsidize the clients desire with their own sweat and money.

As a viable business owner, the client needs to provide for us via our services, not the other way around.
I sort of agree with this, but here's my counter point....

Although we (the business owner) determine what our costs are to do business, that does not mean we drive the market. Supply and demand drives the market. So even if it costs you $60/hour to do business, it doesn't mean you're going to stay in business if the local market doesn't support it. At that point, the business owner needs to make a decision to either fold or figure out a way to do business cheaper to survive.

Doug

I sort of agree with this, but here's my counter point....

Although we (the business owner) determine what our costs are to do business, that does not mean we drive the market. Supply and demand drives the market. So even if it costs you $60/hour to do business, it doesn't mean you're going to stay in business if the local market doesn't support it. At that point, the business owner needs to make a decision to either fold or figure out a way to do business cheaper to survive.

Doug
That was my point about our business not being viable in every neighborhood. Just because some one wants to pay or can only afford to pay a certain amount of money, doesn't mean we business owners are obligated to work for that price.

It's like drugs and sex. Just say NO! :)

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Great post, don't know why it took me this long to find it(busy year I guess). It does worry me that so many have just opened there eyes to this! How have they been bidding up to this point!!??
They bid "the going rate"

They go "just a little less than last years guy"

They ask the customer what they are paying now and drop it $5

They post on here asking for other peoples prices

They bid "what they heard its going for"

They bid " a dollar a minute"

They bid "the going rate"

They go "just a little less than last years guy"

They ask the customer what they are paying now and drop it $5

They post on here asking for other peoples prices

They bid "what they heard its going for"

They bid " a dollar a minute"
:hammerhead: yep I've done all of the above! how embarrassing is that?

61 - 80 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.