• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

How to Change oil in PTO dump truck hoist

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have a dump truck with PTO dump hoist. It does not lift all the way. I figure it is low on oil. I would like to change the oil, but there is no resevior tank. And i'm not sure how this is done, nor how to even check the oil level.

Any help here?

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
My dad has a '79 Chevy C30 with PTO dump hoist, I believe the reservoir is under the bed, you have to put it up. But I'm not sure. He hasn't changed the fluid, just adds some once in a while. Adding fluid can make a huge difference in speed.

OP
B

betmr

LawnSite Bronze Member
My dad has a '79 Chevy C30 with PTO dump hoist, I believe the reservoir is under the bed, you have to put it up. But I'm not sure. He hasn't changed the fluid, just adds some once in a while. Adding fluid can make a huge difference in speed.
DT, thanx for the responce. I've had the bed up, but can't find a reservoir tank. I have heard that the lift cylinder is the tank. I have the Galion owners manual, but when it comes to the oil, it refers to the hoist manufacturer's (Heil, in this case) manual, which I don't have, and can't find on line.

Funny your Dad's is on a C 30, so is this one. Maybe you could ask him if he knows anything about this situation, I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanx again for the help. If I can get it working right, my boss will have sides made up, so we can use it to haul out Snow.

DT Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
DT, thanx for the responce. I've had the bed up, but can't find a reservoir tank. I have heard that the lift cylinder is the tank. I have the Galion owners manual, but when it comes to the oil, it refers to the hoist manufacturer's (Heil, in this case) manual, which I don't have, and can't find on line.

Funny your Dad's is on a C 30, so is this one. Maybe you could ask him if he knows anything about this situation, I would really appreciate any assistance.

Thanx again for the help. If I can get it working right, my boss will have sides made up, so we can use it to haul out Snow.
I will ask him. I don't know if this helps, but I believe he squirts the fluid rather than pours.

a_mow_zing

LawnSite Member
This is pretty easy to find the resevior tank, follow the pressure and return line back and find it....I am pretty sure it does have a resevior tank, where would the fluild go when compressed otherwise. Yes, low oil may cause your problem but I would guess a seal is out...

unkownfl

LawnSite Platinum Member
Pretty sure it has a tank. Fluid doesn't compress so where will it go when the cylinder is compressed? Maybe the pump has a tank built into it and has like a square headed plug like a 1/2 drive ratchet goes into it and not like a radiator cap.

a_mow_zing

LawnSite Member
Yep, I own a dump truck, about 25 yrd one....how big is yours....my car has one small dent.....my truck many more...cuz its a work truck

P.Services

LawnSite Fanatic
mine has one small dent also. i have a 10 yrd one.

some times i think about giving up lawnsite. its 1:30 in the morning and im gona be working in less then five hours but this stupid shet just makes my day.

a_mow_zing

LawnSite Member
mine has one small dent also. i have a 10 yrd one.

some times i think about giving up lawnsite. its 1:30 in the morning and im gona be working in less then five hours but this stupid shet just makes my day.
dont give up lawnsite, just cuz you are a stupid shet, doesnt mean we are all stupid shets, then again I might give up on lawnsite if this is your sense of humor but I definately wouldnt get into stand up comedy you stupid shet.

Last edited:

P.Services

LawnSite Fanatic
you were making me laugh but now your just acting dumb. Get over it and dont be such a bitter downer, im just having a good time joking around and you cant relax. You ruined the mood, im not smiling any more. im done.

your new to the site, you have alot to learn about the advice given on the site.