1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to charge batteries on the go?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CowboyClayt, Dec 4, 2017.

1. CowboyClayt

CowboyClayt LawnSite Member

My stuff will last at least five years. If not, warranty pays for it. But yes, it is kinda a pain to keep up with all the batteries and making sure they are all charged and stuff like that. But then again, basically no maintnence! No carb cleans, no paying for gas, no changing oil, no air filters,etc.

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

That's a five year resdentual warranty not commercial. No way it's lasting 5 years using it 6 or 7 hours a day 6 days a week.

bluetruck likes this.
  3. CowboyClayt

True. However, I am not using it near that often. Once a week to once every other week, 2 hours. And the warranty doesn't say anything about it not covering the mower if I use it commercially, unlike all the other mowers I have purchased. A percentage of the reason I bought it. And, I doubt I'm using it enough anyways to qualify as commercial.

4. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

if you are charging money for the use of your equipment, that is considered commercial by most if not all warranties. doesnt matter how much or little use. now some of the better quality equipment like a residential honda push mower will give you a 30 day warranty for commercial use.

RDALawns likes this.
  5. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

Some people don't believe it. I cut 2000 lawns this year by myself with all battery equipment. Batteries do fine on small residential.
    Have fun with those loud vibrating stinky beasts.
    Stay away from Electrics, it will give me more time to overtake my market.

CowboyClayt likes this.
  6. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

With the money you spend on an inverter and storage battery you could buy all the extra work batteries you need. I can trim 8 properties on one 80v 2ah battery. Blowing and mowing take more power but still not a big issue. Build a custom Battery for the mower like 80v 10ah, just put two ebike batteries in series.

7. CowboyClayt

That's pretty amazing! What brand are you using?

8. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

Greenworks 80v. The mower uses my own custom battery most of the time, and for demanding conditions. The 4 or 5ah batteries don't let the real power of the mower show. Too much voltage sag.

9. CowboyClayt

Cool! Thanks! How long have you had the mower for?

10. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

I've had the mower for 14 months. I ended up using the same motor, controller and blade on a frankenstein mower I put together to be lighter weight, and self propelled with better suction. I've been using that mostly all this year. I still use the stock oem mower for when I need to bag.