1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

How To Choose Concrete Or Asphalt?

Discussion in 'Discount Contractor Warehouse' started by Diamond King Tools, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Diamond King Tools

Diamond King Tools Sponsor

How to choose asphalt or concrete? Deciding what material to go with for your driveway construction project is obviously an important decision. For commercial or residential driveways, how to choose asphalt or concrete will be the first question you have to answer. The scope and cost of your project will obviously dictate which direction you will go in, but understanding the materials is important too.
    [​IMG]
    Asphalt Pro’s
    • CHEAP .. Asphalt driveways are about half as expensive as concrete driveways
    • Asphalt can be laid quick. Usually, it doesn’t take more than a day or two to get a residential driveway taking care of. Commercial asphalt paving will depend on the size of the area needing the work.
    • Asphalt is very durable. It can handle ice melting products or even withstand a poor installation job.
    • Asphalt has low maintenance costs. Repairs are short money and easy to mask cosmetically
    Asphalt Con’s
    • Asphalt Longevity is shorter, 12-20 years on average
    • Must be treated and seal coated frequently
    ***CUT ASPHALT LIKE A PRO HERE

Concrete Pro’s

• Lasts long! Up to 50 years.. This is based on functionality more than anything else
    • Very durable and tough, lasts long as mentioned before
    Concrete Con’s
    • Highly susceptible to cracking
    • Once damaged, not as easy to fix, patch or seal
    • Annual Maintenance will be required
    ***CUT CONCRETE LIKE A PRO HERE

Concrete and asphalt are both great options to go with. As far as look and maintenance are concerned, I think asphalt is overall the better material to pick. If you need the driveway to be more permanent, and by permanent I mean lasting 30 years, then the extra cost for concrete is worth it. What do you think?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Asphalt is half as expensive as concrete?

Concrete is highly susceptible to cracking?

What "annual maintenance" is required for concrete?

Not sure how accurate the above statements are. Never heard of annual concrete maintenance.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

my concrete driveway is 65 years old and still good. it has a few cracks in it but nothing major.

asphalt won't last 5 years anymore. it will have potholes in it in no time. that stuff is pure crap these days. i blow off customers asphalt driveways and pieces of asphalt go everywhere. that stuff just crumbles into bits. i don't think very much of it. honestly a gravel driveway is better than asphalt and cheaper too.