How To Deal With Losing Clients

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Thats why I hate the question "How many accounts do you have?" It shows no representation of your business or how it is doing. I know a guy that has 1 customer yet pulls in nearly a million a year...
Fed EX started with one account… the Federal Government.
but they weren't mowing the lawn for 40-50 bucks

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
One year at the EXPO was BS with some other guys they was telling how many they mow. I thinking wow that's a lot till they told me the size. Then they ask my number I thought about it and I said 43 they all :laugh:
Then one guy said, I wouldn't get out bed for 43.
One guy said he mows 100 all 1/4 size lawns. I told him you times that by 4 that equals to one my lawns.
That guy mows with WB 36/48'' I told him I run 3 72'' and 3 60'' on that one lawn.
There jaws drop and ask how many mowers I had. I said 10 DC and 1 15ft batwing they look at me like :dizzy:

So yes a number is just a number doesn't mean a thing. The $$$ is only thing that counts.
You need to keep things in perspective, the OP in question only uses 30" mowers. with only 40 customers those lawn sizes/values are pretty limited. And there are no giant estates he's mowing in Cedar City Utah.
The type and style of lawns there only really warrant the 30" mowers he uses.

as Far as $$$ goes… most people talk in gross…. Ive asked this question before.
Would you rather net 20% of 500k? or 10% of a million? Most people answer it wrong.

MLLNYC

LawnSite Member
How do you deal with losing clients? Does it hurt? Do you feel depressed or sad? Sometimes they have a completely valid reason that they state. Other times they send an e-mail telling you they won't be needing your services anymore.

A couple weeks ago I sent a letter or e-mail to my clients. I was just keeping in touch with them and let them know that in the next few weeks we would let them know the specific day we would start their services back up. I mentioned we implemented a way to pay bills online, yadda yadda yadda. I immediately started getting e-mails canceling service. Probably 7 of my 40 clients. Every e-mail felt like a huge slap in the face and it really gets me down. I spend so dang much money on advertising, and I want to grow my business so badly that it's hard to feel like you're going backwards. How do you deal with these situations without it getting you down or taking it too personally?
There is a positive in every situation.

You can use this "mass exodus" as an opportunity to learn where your companys' flaws are (pricing, quality of work, punctuality, appearance, advertising, communication, etc.).

Type up a simple list of questions that could give you an idea of where you need to improve or where you need to shift your focus to and go to each of your lost customers in person and ask them. Compare and contrast their reasons and you'll find at least one commonality. Time spent sulking is time wasted in this industry.

Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
There is a positive in every situation.

You can use this "mass exodus" as an opportunity to learn where your companys' flaws are (pricing, quality of work, punctuality, appearance, advertising, communication, etc.).

Type up a simple list of questions that could give you an idea of where you need to improve or where you need to shift your focus to and go to each of your lost customers in person and ask them. Compare and contrast their reasons and you'll find at least one commonality. Time spent sulking is time wasted in this industry.

Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Again…I don't think this "mass exodus" has anything to do with anything the OP is doing "wrong".

He knows what he is doing, he's fairly priced, he has good equipment, he has a good location and demographic, he's simply still in the beginning stages of growing a business and the only 'mistake' made here is assuming several of these people were 'clients' and not simply temporary customers.

I cut your place a few times last year does not equal you are a dependable revenue source/client.
at his stage of business building 60 customers means you might have 40 you can count as stable clients.

OakNut

LawnSite Platinum Member
I showed up one Wednesday morning to find police cars parked outside and detectives walking out of the house.

Customer, or client - she died that morning shortly before I arrived.

THAT is a heck of a way to lose a client.
(I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault too)

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
You need to keep things in perspective, the OP in question only uses 30" mowers. with only 40 customers those lawn sizes/values are pretty limited. And there are no giant estates he's mowing in Cedar City Utah.
The type and style of lawns there only really warrant the 30" mowers he uses.

as Far as $$$ goes… most people talk in gross…. Ive asked this question before.
Would you rather net 20% of 500k? or 10% of a million? Most people answer it wrong.
My post wasn't for the OP was towards a comment you made
You claiming 40 lawns isn't a business just a hobby.
So the lawns I have now is 34 by you that's a hobby. So I have a hobby.
I never really broke it down just on mowing on gross vs net

BLC7

LawnSite Senior Member
One year at the EXPO was BS with some other guys they was telling how many they mow. I thinking wow that's a lot till they told me the size. Then they ask my number I thought about it and I said 43 they all :laugh:
Then one guy said, I wouldn't get out bed for 43.
One guy said he mows 100 all 1/4 size lawns. I told him you times that by 4 that equals to one my lawns.
That guy mows with WB 36/48'' I told him I run 3 72'' and 3 60'' on that one lawn.
There jaws drop and ask how many mowers I had. I said 10 DC and 1 15ft batwing they look at me like :dizzy:

So yes a number is just a number doesn't mean a thing. The $$$ is only thing that counts.
"I told him you times that by 4 that equals to one my lawns."

So you have a 400 acre property to manage? Or do you mean most of your properties are 1 acre?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
Where did the 400 acres come from ?

Lets see 100 lawns at 1/4 when I said 1/4 I was meaning 1/4 acre lawn

He is only mowing 25 acres with that 100 lawns
100x.25= 25 acres

Chamber143

LawnSite Member
I'm afraid the thread is getting off topic because some got offended. I find the comment about 40 a little snobby myself but I myself have 83 accounts and only have 9 residential yards. I have 5 that are 12+man hour jobs per week each. Hell one of my accounts takes 12,000 dollars worth of pine straw. Another has 18 acres of manicured beautiful grass and pays 950 per mow. It's important to understand that account numbers mean diddlely squat. If you are making a living and happy than motor on. To the OP, brother keep your head high. It happens. Keep providing quality and all will improve. You have to first believe in you before anyone else will. I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to. Just do it as Nike says, and the rest will fix itself.

Snyder's Lawn Inc

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'm afraid the thread is getting off topic because some got offended. I find the comment about 40 a little snobby myself but I myself have 83 accounts and only have 9 residential yards. I have 5 that are 12+man hour jobs per week each. Hell one of my accounts takes 12,000 dollars worth of pine straw. Another has 18 acres of manicured beautiful grass and pays 950 per mow. It's important to understand that account numbers mean diddlely squat. If you are making a living and happy than motor on. To the OP, brother keep your head high. It happens. Keep providing quality and all will improve. You have to first believe in you before anyone else will. I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to. Just do it as Nike says, and the rest will fix itself.
Reference to just mowing

I'm never was offended on here. I thought it was funny

But WOW 12k worth of pine straw. Can I ask how bales that is?

Things person learns on here I use to trash pine needles till I joined this site around here nobody never used it. Now I have some customers I put it down for that list is growing. I don't buy it I have a place I can go get all I want for free then turn around make little profit on it.