1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With Losing Clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Utah Lawn Care, Mar 9, 2015.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Fed EX started with one account… the Federal Government.
    but they weren't mowing the lawn for 40-50 bucks

2. TPendagast

Male

You need to keep things in perspective, the OP in question only uses 30" mowers. with only 40 customers those lawn sizes/values are pretty limited. And there are no giant estates he's mowing in Cedar City Utah.
    The type and style of lawns there only really warrant the 30" mowers he uses.

as Far as $$$ goes… most people talk in gross…. Ive asked this question before.
    Would you rather net 20% of 500k? or 10% of a million? Most people answer it wrong.

3. MLLNYC

MLLNYC LawnSite Member
    from NYC

There is a positive in every situation.

You can use this "mass exodus" as an opportunity to learn where your companys' flaws are (pricing, quality of work, punctuality, appearance, advertising, communication, etc.).

Type up a simple list of questions that could give you an idea of where you need to improve or where you need to shift your focus to and go to each of your lost customers in person and ask them. Compare and contrast their reasons and you'll find at least one commonality. Time spent sulking is time wasted in this industry.

Hope this helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TPendagast

Male

Again…I don't think this "mass exodus" has anything to do with anything the OP is doing "wrong".

He knows what he is doing, he's fairly priced, he has good equipment, he has a good location and demographic, he's simply still in the beginning stages of growing a business and the only 'mistake' made here is assuming several of these people were 'clients' and not simply temporary customers.

I cut your place a few times last year does not equal you are a dependable revenue source/client.
    at his stage of business building 60 customers means you might have 40 you can count as stable clients.

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I showed up one Wednesday morning to find police cars parked outside and detectives walking out of the house.

Customer, or client - she died that morning shortly before I arrived.

THAT is a heck of a way to lose a client.
    (I'm pretty sure it wasn't my fault too)

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

My post wasn't for the OP was towards a comment you made
    You claiming 40 lawns isn't a business just a hobby.
    So the lawns I have now is 34 by you that's a hobby. So I have a hobby.
    I never really broke it down just on mowing on gross vs net

7. BLC7

BLC7 LawnSite Senior Member

"I told him you times that by 4 that equals to one my lawns."

So you have a 400 acre property to manage? Or do you mean most of your properties are 1 acre?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Where did the 400 acres come from ?

Lets see 100 lawns at 1/4 when I said 1/4 I was meaning 1/4 acre lawn

He is only mowing 25 acres with that 100 lawns
    100x.25= 25 acres

9. Chamber143

Chamber143 LawnSite Member

I'm afraid the thread is getting off topic because some got offended. I find the comment about 40 a little snobby myself but I myself have 83 accounts and only have 9 residential yards. I have 5 that are 12+man hour jobs per week each. Hell one of my accounts takes 12,000 dollars worth of pine straw. Another has 18 acres of manicured beautiful grass and pays 950 per mow. It's important to understand that account numbers mean diddlely squat. If you are making a living and happy than motor on. To the OP, brother keep your head high. It happens. Keep providing quality and all will improve. You have to first believe in you before anyone else will. I believe you can do whatever you put your mind to. Just do it as Nike says, and the rest will fix itself.

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Reference to just mowing

I'm never was offended on here. I thought it was funny

But WOW 12k worth of pine straw. Can I ask how bales that is?

Things person learns on here I use to trash pine needles till I joined this site around here nobody never used it. Now I have some customers I put it down for that list is growing. I don't buy it I have a place I can go get all I want for free then turn around make little profit on it.