1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How To Deal With Losing Clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Utah Lawn Care, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Naranjo

Naranjo LawnSite Member

Great comments.

2. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how to mowing industry is are other places (specifically lawn maintenance, not applications or anything else) but here we have one company in our city of 80k that does work on the lower end of the pricing range (we are CONSTANTLY ~$300 more per season mowing + cleanups).They are huge into mowing (by my standards, I think 4-5 crews daily) they do OK work but we constantly get calls from their customers wanting prices because they arent happy. About 90% of them stick with the other company, not even a new one because most reputable are more $$.

Point being, mowing customers are can be great customers but MANY of them are looking at price and only price. Just picked up a full everything customer, guy before was charging $33/mow but he "retired'. He did amazing work. She was with him for 10+years. We're charging her $41/mow and she didn't bat an eye. Her neighbor (our customer) referred her to us. It really matters HOW you get the customer, not just getting them. Referrals almost always will be good customers and extremely easy to sell.

Rant over. Going back to losing 7/40 customers. It happens. Assuming your work is atleast decent, I wouldnt worry. I keep track of the mowing customers we have. (Very small part of our business). Last year we lost about 10 of our 55. We also gained 16. Lost ones were mainly moving or deceased. I don't think any of them were because of the actual service. It happens, some years worst than others. Make sure you get a reason why they cancel.

hort101 likes this.
  3. MattHudson

MattHudson LawnSite Member

It's only natural to feel a little down when a client lets you go, but the best way to get over it is to flip the script on clients. By that I mean create a business whereby you have the ability to choose who you work with and generate a waiting list for your services. The first step to do this is to clearly identify your dream clients, then you develop a long term marketing strategy to attract them. Once you figure out how to attract your dream clients and you fill you business with them you will be set. Anyone who let's you go is not your dream client. There will always be turn over but you have the power to choose who you work for when you are able to go after your best clients and fill you business with them. Keep at it and you will get there. I hope this helps!