Lawn Care Forum banner

How To Determine How Much Mulch Is Needed

248K views 127 replies 90 participants last post by  Ready to Mow 
#1 ·
This question seems to be a popular one in this forum.
A lot of people want to know how to figure out the correct amount of mulch for their landscaping project. So D Felix came up with a good idea to have the formula stuck to the top of this forum.

Here it is:

To determine how much mulch is needed, you take:

Total square feet x depth desired (in feet) / 27 = cubic yards needed

Figure out your square footage.
Take square footage time depth desired (in feet, i.e. 3" = .25 feet).
That gives volume in cubic feet.
Divide that number by 27 to get cubic yards. There's 27 cubic feet per yard (3'x3'x3'=27 cubic feet).

#5 ·
Originally posted by bobbygedd
duhhhhhh!!!!!! if u can't figure it out, don't do it
BooBY

Just for you I will make it easier. That way you can do it. :D

1 Yard of Mulch 3" deep will cover 108 sq feet

1 Yard of Mulch 4" deep will cover 81 sq feet

1 Bag 2 cu feet at 3" will cover 8 sq feet

1 Bag 2 cu feet at 4" will cover 6 sq feet

Reactions: CountryGirl67
#10 ·
If you use this formula you don't have to convert the depth from inches to feet:

Length (in Feet) X Width (in Feet) X Depth (in Inches) / 324 = Cubic Yards

Example:

Length=10'
Width=20'
Depth=3"
10x20x3/324=1.8518518518518518518518518518519 cubic yards

or

Using the decimal equilivant of 3 inches (.25 feet):

Length=10'
Width=20'
Depth=.25'
10x20x.25/27=1.8518518518518518518518518518519 cubic yards

#114 ·
If you use this formula you don't have to convert the depth from inches to feet:

Length (in Feet) X Width (in Feet) X Depth (in Inches) / 324 = Cubic Yards

Example:

Length=10'
Width=20'
Depth=3"
10x20x3/324=1.8518518518518518518518518518519 cubic yards

or

Using the decimal equilivant of 3 inches (.25 feet):

Length=10'
Width=20'
Depth=.25'
10x20x.25/27=1.8518518518518518518518518518519 cubic yards
ok so let me get this right. i have a bed the is 75 by 9 so the math problem would be
75*9*.3/324=0.625 is that right???

#11 ·
Ric said:
BooBY

Just for you I will make it easier. That way you can do it. :D

1 Yard of Mulch 3" deep will cover 108 sq feet

1 Yard of Mulch 4" deep will cover 81 sq feet

1 Bag 2 cu feet at 3" will cover 8 sq feet

1 Bag 2 cu feet at 4" will cover 6 sq feet
tx_angler

No real need to make rocket science out of a simple thing. Remember this is for estimating only. The fact of the matter is you can not put down mulch at a perfect 3 or 4 inches over a large area. I always add in more mulch just to be sure we have enough.

#12 ·
The calculations aren’t rocket science, but some people prefer not to do the math and so they use cheat sheets. Cubic area adds depth and is three-dimensional; square footage is two-dimensional without depth. Some people have a tough time visualizing this, and when you throw in cubic yards instead of feet, that throws in another curve.

For those of you who fret over this, give the calcs a try because the more you do it the more clear and second nature things will become.

#14 ·
I made up a formula'd spreadsheet on exel. feel free to download and use it. it is protected so the only values you can adjust (unles you unprotect it) are the blanks for length, width and depth.

had to zip it to attach, let me know if it doesnt work, I can email it if anyone really wants it that bad.

Attachments

#19 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Here are a few more things to consider when ordering mulch:

When you calculate cubic yards for a landscaped area, remember that the mulch you spread may be a little more fluffed up than it was when it was buried in a 17 yard tractor truck trailor. When they load up an 18 wheeler trailor with mulch, it compresses a lot, so what they may call 20 yards ends up more like 25 yards by the time you spread it all out. I've learned this from experience. It depends on what kind of mulch you're using too. Bottom line, if you're ordering mulch by the dump-truck load, you may want to cut your estimate just a little bit to make sure you don't order too much.

Pine straw: for pine straw mulch, I use the bales that are about 5'x2'x2'/ I'm not sure what the exact measurements are, but they're exactly the same as an old square bale of hay. I've found that one bale covers about 50 square feet if it's a brand new mulch job, and about 80 square feet if it's a re-mulch over existing pine straw.

Ground covered areas: When you are calculating square footage of a bed, keep in mind how much mulch you can put around particular plants. For example, if you calculate a bed being 300 square feet, but most of it is juniper or jasmine or monkey grass, then you can't put much mulch in there, so maybe multiply your square footage by maybe .5 or something. It's a huge guessing game, but it helps me keep from over estimating.

I hope some of this information helps.

Adam

#20 ·
Generally when determining the amount, i put mulch thought into the equation.

M

I know my attempt at humor sucks....

#23 ·
-13 mulchforkfuls will fill an 8 cubic foot wheelbarrow, 4 of which constitute roughly one yard.

-An 8' pickup will accomodate 2 cy of mulch (Don't try this with pea gravel!)

-All of the mathematical calculations related to mulch coverage fail to take into account planting density (The percentage of a given area which cannot be mulched because there are plants in the way).

-If the surface of the beds is rough and irregular, you can wind up 10% short of mulch even on small jobs (6-10 cy)

-Slipping the kid driving the front-end loader $5.00 makes sure that you're NEVER short!

#24 ·
usually mulch is aplied at 3 inches thick,
the easy way the find out how much mulch you would need, measure LxW and that will give you the sq. ft. as for the amount of mulch needed one yd of mulch applied at 3 inches thick will cover 108sq ft ...

#25 ·
It's LxWxD divided by 27sq'=yds needed,
If your spreading it 3"then x by 3 ...if 2"then x by 2....ect,you don't minus the crown habit foliage of the plantings just say 4" to 6" circumfrence per plant.It's easy to remember minus 2' for every 4 plants.So if you have an 10x8bed and your spreading it 3" thick and there are 12 plants in the bed it would go like this 10x8x3=240 sq' -6'=234sq' divided by 27=8.66yds ...
and you order 9 yards anyway!

#26 ·
Generally I don't use all that equation stuff. I have learned to eye ball it perfectly. Landscaping is natural and not a perfect sience so enjoy it and you will make plenty of money..... :blob3: :blob3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.