Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that wants me to give him a price to paint some metal patio furniture. He has 3 tables and 12 chairs, hes a great customer so I want to do this for him but I dont know how to price it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It could get time consuming depending on how much prep work is involved and what you are planning to use to prep the metal for paint, but i would guess to price it on how long you think it will take based on your rate plus material costs...

·
Registered
19,231 Posts
If I were doing it I'd wire brush any rust and then rattle can them. I did a metal mesh table and four chairs a few years back. I believe it took about 6 cans.

I draped plastic around the perimeter of their garage and sprayed them in there. Far less chance for dust bugs rain etc to ruin the finish.

·
Registered
21,085 Posts
I have a customer that wants me to give him a price to paint some metal patio furniture. He has 3 tables and 12 chairs, hes a great customer so I want to do this for him but I dont know how to price it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Ummm
Not trying to be rude but, we are (and you by extension) are landscapers
This is what we call "outside our scope of work"

sometimes you just have to be able to say no.

I mean if you want to be a painter , that's cool
Get into that profession
Invest into that profession
But that's not what landscapes do.
We also don't reshingle the roof , or replace the customers transmission.

it's best to focus on what you do... and do it well.
Focus!

·
Registered
21,085 Posts
If I were doing it I'd wire brush any rust and then rattle can them. I did a metal mesh table and four chairs a few years back. I believe it took about 6 cans.

I draped plastic around the perimeter of their garage and sprayed them in there. Far less chance for dust bugs rain etc to ruin the finish.
You can rent a black and decker sprayer I believe
Dewalt makes a battery powered one that is quite handy.
I sub a guy out who paints (stains) wood fences when people ask for it... looks like it works fast and even .

·
Registered
19,231 Posts
You can rent a black and decker sprayer I believe
Dewalt makes a battery powered one that is quite handy.
I sub a guy out who paints (stains) wood fences when people ask for it... looks like it works fast and even .
In this case though, I believe it would be far easier and cheaper to just rattle can it. This is a relatively small paint job. I agree with you that an airless sprayer would work well for larger projects. However even if the OP owns a sprayer it might be more hassle than it's worth to use it, when you start factoring in cleanup time and thinner to flush it etc.

·
Registered
21,085 Posts
In this case though, I believe it would be far easier and cheaper to just rattle can it. This is a relatively small paint job. I agree with you that an airless sprayer would work well for larger projects. However even if the OP owns a sprayer it might be more hassle than it's worth to use it, when you start factoring in cleanup time and thinner to flush it etc.
True about the clean up

but I think it's going to use more paint than you think
You're going to get higher quality paint than you will from a rattle can
And it's more professional

like I said... if you're not going to "do it" , then don't do it
Leave it to someone who DOES do that , and then you can do your thing.

I think lite people should go into painting
I never understand why everyone goes into landscaping

·
Registered
19,231 Posts
True about the clean up

but I think it's going to use more paint than you think
You're going to get higher quality paint than you will from a rattle can
And it's more professional

like I said... if you're not going to "do it" , then don't do it
Leave it to someone who DOES do that , and then you can do your thing.

I think lite people should go into painting
I never understand why everyone goes into landscaping
I just reread the original post looks like there are 15 pcs of furniture. I missed that number on my first read. I was envisioning way less pcs of furniture. I agree, either an airless sprayer or an hvlp is the way to go. For 15 pcs of furniture he would be looking at 15 rattle cans or so, doable but a lot of rattle cans. Unless he owns a sprayer it would be tough to justify buying one for this small job, so renting one would probably be the way to go. I suspect it would take one gal of paint possibly two , using like a 211 tip or something in that range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ummm
Not trying to be rude but, we are (and you by extension) are landscapers
This is what we call "outside our scope of work"

sometimes you just have to be able to say no.

I mean if you want to be a painter , that's cool
Get into that profession
Invest into that profession
But that's not what landscapes do.
We also don't reshingle the roof , or replace the customers transmission.

it's best to focus on what you do... and do it well.
Focus!

·
Registered
2 Posts
For successful garden furniture painting, applying several thin coats of paint is better than one thick coat. Thick coats can result in a sticky surface that can lose uniformity and wrinkle in the hot sun. Once the garden furniture has been treated, it must be dried thoroughly. The drying process can take up to several weeks, depending on the type of treatment and the number of coats of paint. Spring is the ideal time to prepare garden furniture for the summer season. But in my opinion, why take the time to evaluate furniture and do the work when you can use garden services. I ordered new, even chic, garden furniture from Garden Furniture And Sets | GardenFurniture.co.uk some time ago. The past metal furniture is nowhere near as good as the new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts