1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

how to fertilize

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jaredjustice, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. jaredjustice

    jaredjustice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    i have been cutting lawns for a property managment co. for 5 years now. they have recently cancelled their contract with a national lawn treatment company and want the contractor who cuts the lawns to take over the fertilization. This is new to me, can anybody give me info on what to use and equipment. I live in southern West Virginia and will have 24 properties about 2 acres each. I was leaning towards a dry appilication so I don't have to buy tank and pump and just use a spreader. any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. GreenUtah

    GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT
    Messages: 866

    Are you certain it's just a straight fertilizer that they've been having done? Unlikely that's the service if they were using " a national lawn treatment company". The program likely includes weed control, insect control, preemergent and possibly disease control.
    you will need to obtain the proper licensing in your state( the info links are at the top of this forum) possibly even to spread the fert long before you begin to think about equipment. Once you get that license, you will likely recognize that a straight spreader will be an unlikely tool by itself for doing a full program. A tank and pump saves labor over the smaller tool, the backpack or hand pump sprayer. If I were to be doing a full program on 45 plus acres for the year, it wouldn't be a hard choice for me to make.( moving up in equipment) There are other methods for using a granular based program, like the permagreen spreaders, but then you are incurring even higher equipment costs. You'll have to decide based on the layouts of the properties, the program itself, etc., but number one, please make sure you obtain the proper information to make the right program for your area or sub it to someone with the expertise, otherwise you'll end up having it cost you the mowing as well.
  3. jaredjustice

    jaredjustice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    I was hoping to use granular and use the spreader that attaches to the front of my mower similiar to the permagreen system. I also have a Kawasaki Mule and have seen sprayers and spreeder attachments for those. I will check for regulations.
  4. jaredjustice

    jaredjustice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    checked regs here in west virginia, the only permit and license needed is when appliyng pesticides. All I will be using is herbicide and fetilizer.
  5. NattyLawn

    NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,643

    Herbicides are pesticides....You need to study up and get your license...
  6. jaredjustice

    jaredjustice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 7

    :rolleyes: I should have been specific, in West Virginia in the first paragraph, last sentence of the Registration of Pesticide Products gives an exception for
    "any substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defolliant, desiccant, or herbicide." I would like to get off of the questions of regulations and someone give advice of what brand of herbicides and what fertilizer and how they apply it.
  7. LLandscaping

    LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,016

    The type of product will depend on the type of grass that you will be treating. You need to be able to identify different types of turf, broad leaf weeds, perennial weeds,diseases, etc. You need to take you pesticide test because it is required in most state or you will face fines up in the thousands of dollars. We only treat Zyosia and Bermuda lawns.
  8. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Agreed. There is no sense of even KNOWING what ferts, herbicides, or any OTHER pesticides to put down without the proper traing on how to handle and use them.
  9. The Cowboy

    The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 617

    No You don't. If it is not required for what you are doing, you don't need it. All I can see it doing is putting you in the limelight as they start keepin tabs on you when before they wouldn't have been any the wiser. Just make sure you ain't breakin their freakin rules and you'll be fine.It will help knowing how to do it right, but you can get books on the subject.

    When I spread fert, I make sure my spreader is overlapping 50%. In other words, the fert should be reaching the wheel track of the previous pass. This make for an even color. Now what color that will be is determined by the rates of fert and the kind of grass. Are you in the transition zone?
  10. DLS1

    DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,619

    Hey Cowboy are suggesting he break the law? If they had a national company fertilize in the past then they would also be taking care of the weeds.

    Sounds like your breaking the law yourself by your comments. Are you spraying chemicals without a license?

    Now one wants just straight fertilizer without also getting rids of weeds.

    Now jaredjustice I suggest you don't do anything until you take the test so you know what you are doing. You can kill a yard even with fertilizer if you don't know what your are doing. Next thing you know that property management co. will be firing you. You are not going to kill most of the weeds with dry application so you must spray.

Share This Page