How to get Centipede grass out of Bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Apr 14, 2018.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a product that will kill Centipede grass and not harm the Bermuda? Besides using gly in winter, because ya know its not winter right now.:)

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Revolver, Monument or Drive.

wildstarblazer likes this.
  3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

3 way will kill that centipede

grenskpr likes this.
  4. jcollett83

jcollett83 LawnSite Member

MSMA is the best @ .75oz/tsf

5. takervader

takervader LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Ive never used Drive for anything but crab, but it will work. MSMA will work but not everyone can use it.

Typically I don't get any invasion of centipede because of my more active fert schedule and the multiple applications of 3-way and other stuff to wipe out wintry weeds early on in the year.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

keep the centipede and get rid of the bermuda.

7. Traveling Man

Traveling Man LawnSite Member

That’s what I would do

weeze likes this.
  8. greendoctor

Centipede does not grow volunteer unless soil and climate conditions are right for it. I can make a Centipede lawn as nice as a Bermuda or Zoysia lawn. Difference is, lower inputs will be needed for the Centipede growing in the right place.

weeze and hort101 like this.
  9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Bronze Member

This lawn is a nice hybrid bermuda with just a small patch (volunteer) of centipede. Need to control it before it spreads worse.

10. greendoctor

This has not been discussed, but what are the soil pH and Phosphorus levels? Centipede has the advantage when pH and P levels are low. I would get the soil tested and then correct the soil so it is optimum for Bermuda. Bermuda and Centipede do not grow well on the same soil chemistry profile.