How to get commercial property.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. TheChiefsLawnCare

    TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 960

    Ok, I am fresh in the Lawn Care Business, I have 9 accounts now and I would like to get some small apartment or small business. However, I dont know how to go about doing it. I have heard that you need to have a license and insurance. I would like to ask a business however i worry when i ask there gonna wanna tell someone and get me screwed. Does anyone no what you would need in Louisiana to cut small apartments or a small business.
  2. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,586


    not many people here are going to support you trying to be a illegal lowballer......except others who arent legal.....
  3. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    I have to agree with Dave on this issue. You need to be legal especially when looking at commercial accounts.

    No commercial property owner is going to hire a company that doesn't carry insurance, if they did they would be taking on your risk and I doubt there going to do that.

    They are also going to want to write off your service as a tax deduction for theirselves and in order to do so their going to need your Federal ID # which you don't have if your not legal.
  4. tamadrummer

    tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,102

    They will also require some sort of workers comp exemption so you don't file against them.

    It is so cheap to be legal, why not just do it?

    After that, trying to get it the fun of the job. I don't know either....:rolleyes:
  5. TheChiefsLawnCare

    TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 960

    ok, sooo how cheap are we talking, and how would i even go about doing it. i am clueless when it comes to doing any of this. i would love to be able to get a small business cause i no the money is there. and better than doin residental. i jus dont no where to start.
  6. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    1. Register your business with your local Dept of Commerce.
    2. Apply for a local Business License at your City Office Building.
    3. Apply for your Federal Tax ID# or EIN # through the IRS.
    4. Obtain liability insurance - cost is around $500 per year for 1-mil of coverage which breaks down to approx $40 per month. (Less then the cost of 2 mowing cuts per month).

    All 4 of these items could easily be taken care of in the course of one day.
    Your local State should have info online to help you through this process.
    Try this link:
    After those items have been taken care of you will be ready to start bidding on commercial properties.

    Also if you are going to have employees you are going to need to apply for workmans comp insurance.

    If down the road you plan on applying fetilzers, treating lawn diseases, spraying weeds, etc will you need to certify as a pesticide applicator and will need to obtain a pesticide license.
  7. TheChiefsLawnCare

    TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 960

    thank u wells for ur help, ill start looking in2 it
  8. TheChiefsLawnCare

    TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 960

    what are the steps of being able to bid for commercial property once i have done those 4 steps, WELLS
  9. Wells

    Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT
    Messages: 0

    You just need to make contact with someone from the company you are wanting to service, either an office manager, property manager or the person in charge of their property maintenance. Sometimes it might be a HOA or home owners association and sometimes it might be a property managment company that you'll need to contact.

    You can do this by phone, in person or by letter. Some people will tell you that one is better then the other but the reality is they all work. Some commercial properties may have a bid process that you go through and some will hire on the spot. Some will hire in August and some in January so you need to make that contact and find out those thngs.

    After making first contact then the rest is up to you, the commercial properties are going to want a full service package so be ready to bid on it all (pruning, sprinkler maint, weed control, fertilizing, etc.) If there is any part that you can't take on yourself you can sub out some of the work.
  10. Kingram52

    Kingram52 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona
    Messages: 105

    Would overseeding also be included?

Share This Page