How to get insured

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Apr 27, 2007.

  1. green-pa

    green-pa LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 737

    Ok, I'd like to know how to go about getting some basic insurance for my new business. I have a new customer that is pushing me over the edge. He's right next door to me and is $160 month income ( for the cuts ) that will surely more than pay for insurance.

    Can anyone tell me how and where to find the most affordable rates in Indiana? And do I have to get other liscences first or register the business?

  2. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    Call an insurance agent. You need a business even if you don't have insurance, but yes, you will need to get it first.

    MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 278

    I'm going to register next week as a company. A few possible customers asked if I was insured and I plan on doing it. But I'm not sure whether I want to register as a Sole proprietership through the city for 60$ or be a LLC through the state which would take a little more time. I'm leaning LLC, either way should I get registered first then insurance or viceversa? I know once I register as either it will be a PITA to switch.
  4. bishoplandscape

    bishoplandscape LawnSite Member
    Messages: 169

    You have to have a registered business name before an insurance company can wright you a policy. As for the cheapest call around no company's insurance will be the same.:dizzy:
  5. LushGreenLawn

    LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,120

    As as LLC, you still need to be licensed with the state and in most cases, your city. Forming an LLC does not give you a business licence. You will need your business license before you can get insurance. My Insurance runs around $471 a year, but also covers my mowers and equipment against loss. It would have been $450 without the extra coverage.
  6. pjslawncare/landscap

    pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,410

    Here in Indiana u dont. I have commercial truck insurance, workmans comp and gen liability and Im running dba.

    MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 278

    Ya the business license is only 10$ through the city, least of my worries. But you only pay 21$ extra to cover your equipment LUSHGREEN? I was thinking I would pass on that this year but for 21$ sign me up.
  8. Gaturf

    Gaturf LawnSite Member
    Messages: 128

    I pay about 450 a year for 500,000 worth of coverage.
    ga turf
  9. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    DAMN that seems high..... 550 fora million.... includes Gen for equptment...

    But I guess you havent been in business for 3 yrs yet ?

    it's a little higher
  10. Gaturf

    Gaturf LawnSite Member
    Messages: 128

    no its not would have cost me about 550 to 575 for a million. just thought id save a little money this year. plus your auto insurance covers all your equipment.


Share This Page