How to get more customers with postcards

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
I've done postcards every year for the past few years. I think its my most successful form of marketing. I'm happy with the results since I pick up enough new work to pay for the postcards.

I'm wondering what I can add to the postcards in terms of specials or wording that might lure in more customers?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Merry Christmas Wilson,
My suggestion is mention four main bullet points. Say quality, owner-operated small business, save there is a sale this week, a spare( whatever is a main sales point for you).

Also try to get a photo of a great lawn and home. Try to get yourself in pic explaining a weed to a highly attractive housewife, a cute kid and a cute dog. If you can get your (freshly washed) truck in the distance--even better.

If your lawns, kids and housewives don't look that good...if your truck is a junker...a professional photo studio can put together a layout from stock photos.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
thanks riggle. I have attached a pics of the front and back of my cards. One side list my services and the other I use for a special or something. I think they look pretty professional and sharpe. This is what I will send or may edit the specials section. It will be the second time i've done it.

postcardfront.jpg

postcardback.jpg

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
part me and part cactus mailing. I had an older version similar but no pictures. The graphic person used part of my old one and came up with this one. I made it a point to use real customers lawns and took the pics with a digital slr camera. I'm not a big fan of stock photos. I like being able to tell someone who calls from the postcard that those are actual lawns I take care of.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Sweet, Pat. Nice pictures. The best grass pictures are taken on a dark cloudy day. Everything looks greener. Try to get your truck in the drive--that is something the guys using stock photos cannot ever do. Its not easy to get a really top-notch photo--not at all.

Sometimes lawn guys are not very social.
People, especially women, are social. They look at and respond to women, and cute children. Look at any woman's magazine--almost every cover and every advertisement has an attractive woman. There is a good reason--it works. And the guys look, too.

Tru Grn has that stupid dog. You can match them, but go one better--get a cuter dog.

If you have a new uniform, clean up well--and look honest--a pic of yourself guaranteeing complete satisfaction--is a good feature.

How about dropping "spray applications" and add insect control--or grub control. Or fungus control. Crabgrass? Mole control? "Leaf control" could be "leaf removal".

You mention features--but not benefits. Customers buy benefits--how are your features helpful to them? How are you better than your competition?

If you can manage to get your second photo and your truck in front of a well-known major commercial lawn you do--that is even better. City hall? Library? Church? Business?

And always try to save the customer money--give them a reason to call immediately. A sale. A coupon. Early-bird special.Soil test. Some kind of freebie.

And use fear--it is a powerful motivator. Crabgrass can destroy your lawn. Grubs can kill large patches. Save the cost of resodding.

It costs just as much to mail a crappy card--try to have the best. Work with Cactus--tell them you want to double your response.

Last edited:
OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
great advice riggle---i'll be adding some specials and may remove some of the bulleted service in order to stay away from some one time work.

Cajan-- I've enjoyed cactus they are very easy to work with and have a good turnaround. The only con I have is the list generation. Every company gets the list info differently and i think all the info gathered is voluntary. I have sent some mailings where family didn't get the card and I know their house was in the "home value" range. Overall a great experience for the price.

Thought about the postal service every door direct but looking at the route maps a lot of the areas I would target are split between $300k+ homes and homes under $125k. Cactus might cost more per card, but I feel I could target specific homes with direct mail where everyone that got a card may want my services.

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
i may give cactus a try, but just in case im spending today making my own list of 5000+ addresses. that way if i want i can target specific communties multiple times if the response rate is good.

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

I have a little different take on same basic Marketing Plan. I am using hand delivered Fliers. I am however ONLY DOING STRAIGHT PEST CONTROL, NOT L&O. BTW this is my first real attempt at doing Marketing. But I have studied this plan and feel it is a winner. Time will tell.

I am buying Blank Door Hanger and Printing them myself on a laser Printer. I want my flier to be attractive attention getter's but also more of a homemade design that says Small local guy. I am only going Black & White, no color. I feel the Homemade touch is an advantage over the Big Box Pesticide Companies. Too fancy can turn people off because they think it is expensive.

Many Years ago I made a marketing Plan for straight Insect control that I never put into action. The plan started by getting a local Vanity Phone Number which is XXX-ANTS. In fact I have more than one local phone Exchange with the number 2687 that spells ANTS. I also Have a Website that is the same Vanity Phone Number Dot Com. or www.xxxANTS.com. Sorry I am not posting my real Website.

My plan is to "BRAND" my phone number/website with Grass Roots advertisement.

WHY NOT POST CARDS?? I can control distribution of the fliers easier than I can Post cards. Bulk mailers want $ 1,000.00 to print and mail 2500 post cards or $0.40 each. But the cost isn't as big of a concern as is the Timing. Commercial Advertisers want to pound the market all at once. I want to gradually market in a controlled fashion so I can handle the Response whether it is good or bad. Because I am printing these Fliers as I pass them out I can change Copy at any time and even design Copy for each particular neighborhood.

Cost wise I am buying Pre Cut Door Hangers for $ 0.125 each and paying $ 0.10 each to have them deliveried. But I also pay a commision on each Customer that I get from the Fliers. With the High unemployement rate here in Florida I have a lot of people to choose from as Flier passers. The Carrot is the commsion from closed deals and a reason not to throw my fliers down the drain. I can pass 100 Fliers an hour by myself. That is $ 10.00 an hour Plus a 1% close rate means a reasonable profit to make it worth their time.