1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of Zoisia?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffclc, Mar 30, 2000.

1. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

nope, delaware county. Historical Marcus Hook. Where William Penn first landed and the Warlocks told him it was their turf

2. Guillermo Cancio

Guillermo Cancio LawnSite Member

Just moved into our first home. The yard is about 7k sf covered with a combination of St. Agustine, Zoysia, and weeds galore.

How can we get rid of the St. Agustine, weeds, and return the lawn to its 1980's full Zoysia appearance?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    Guillermo Cancio
    Miami, Florida

3. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

I bought a house with zoysia about ten years ago. My approach to the front yard was Roundup at about 2X rate and I think I sprayed it at least two or three times to be really sure I killed all that crap. I took up the remaining material with a hand sod cutter. The roots on zoysia are very tough and woody and I wanted to make certain I had good seed/soil contact. Plus it was satisfying to burn all that crap grass in the brush pile. I think I did that about seven or eight years back and I have had no re-infestation of the zoysia, so that method worked well.

As for the back yard, my three dogs beat the hell out of the stuff when it was dormant and the remainder was destroyed by grubs. (I know, I never thought grubs would eat that junk either, and isn't it ironic that the lawn guy's lawn gets whacked by grubs while he's not paying attention.) At any rate, the dog abuse/grub damage method took a little longer but has proven equally effective. It's probably a pretty tough sell to your customer though, so just spray the hell out of it. DEATH TO ZOYSIA WHEREVER IT MAY BE!!!!

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Well said....You must spray at least 2x. Once as early as the season will allow, and again as late as the season will allow. Thinkin July and August.

5. Guillermo Cancio

Guillermo Cancio LawnSite Member

I appreciate your time and wisdom. However, I do like the Zoysia. I have driven by some houses nearby that do have Zoysia well kept and as Bruce Almighty would say; its B-E-A- utiful.

Some like the Zoysia and I happen to be one of them. Unfortunately, I think to get my yard to look like when it was first layed down, I will have to kill the entire sod, remove it, level the ground to get rid of many uneven areas, re-soil, and re-sod it completely.

Cost for this will be an arm and a leg according to Sunset Sod, the professionals who have been doing this for many years and are very reputable here in Miami.

Unfortunately, I just may have to opt for St. Augustine sod. Thank you for your insight.

Regards,
    Guillermo

6. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

Zoysia down by you guys is a great grass. My problem with it up here in the north is that it's dormant for about six months of the year and even when it's growing, it really doesn't spread out the way it should.

Seems to me that with your warm weather, it would be easy enough to throw in some plugs and let it grow in rather than do the entire sod deal. Depends on how much patience you have I guess.