How to get started in NJ

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GD.Landscape.Contractors, Oct 14, 2012.

  1. GD.Landscape.Contractors

    GD.Landscape.Contractors LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    Hey guys, looking to turn my small time mowing operation into a real functioning company. So I have a few questions on what I need to do.

    How do I go about getting a DEP number?

    What kind of insurance do I need?

    Do I need commercial plates on my truck, and if so, how do I flip them?

    And what are some of the first steps I should take in making my company legit?

    Thanks for your time and for answering my newbie questions.

    JRJFENCE LawnSite Member
    Messages: 67

    What's up man, I'm in NJ too. Where are you servicing? And as for your questions

    1. What exactly do you want a DEP number for? Hauling Garbage?
    2. You will need General Liability Insurance & Commercial Auto
    3. You will definitely need commercial plates on your trucks, as well as some sort of lettering. Just go to your local MVC and tell them you need commercial plates once you have your commercial auto policy.
    4. You must register with the state to do business at:
  3. GD.Landscape.Contractors

    GD.Landscape.Contractors LawnSite Member
    Messages: 5

    I live in Morris County
    I thought I would need a DEP number to dump landscaping waste in the MCMUA in Mount Olive.
    And now that I know, ill definitely take care of the truck.
    Thank you very much
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. srlawn

    srlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 39

    As far as I know you don't need the number for leaves brush and grass with the mcmua. I never had it. Just pay the atrocious fee and you should be able to dump without an issue. that may have all changed though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page