How to increase price on doing job?

kebrowns

LawnSite Member
Ok I am new in this business and I am beginning to realize that on some of the yards I am doing I under quoted them. How can I re-negotiate price with client.

jeckel7234

LawnSite Member
not real deep in the game only my second year but unless its outrageously underpriced, i would just do it and let it be lessoned learned, and maybe work in some how so you gave them a great deal for whatever reason shows that you treasure their business. it will take a little time to understand how fast you or your crew is, after that you can eyeball it normally

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
WE increase prices with letters, Explaning that with the recent increase of doing business we are forced to follow, to stay competive.... BLAW BLAW BLAW

TheGoat

LawnSite Senior Member
I let them know that prices will go up a month from now and that in the meantime I will continue to provide service at the previously agreed upon price. They can accept the increase or hire someone else.

CS-LAWNSERVICE

LawnSite Member
Suck it till next year. You can then try are raise them up to where should be,but be prepared to lose some of them.
Agreed with Grandview on this one,you gave the price its not the customers fault and if you would have priced it to high would you have lowered your price for the customer.
suck it up and learn from it its part of the learning curve

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
Agreed with Grandview on this one,you gave the price its not the customers fault and if you would have priced it to high would you have lowered your price for the customer.
suck it up and learn from it its part of the learning curve
Actually it sometimes is the customers fault you under priced their lawn. Its quite common for the chem lawn super growth over fertilizing guys to ask for a quote in Feb or early March here. They do this cause they know you wont believe that the little quarter acre lawn produces 1-1/2 yards of grass clippings every week and they asked for bagging knowing this.

As for the question would I lower a price if I found it was too high I can say yes to that since iv done that too several lawn accounts over the years.

I think it depends on how badly your off if your aim is to make 60 an hour and your their for an hour and your making 35-45 dollars that stings a bit but you will live. But if your there an hour and making 25 or less then you got a huge problem. If I am breaking even then I would wait till next seasons lawn contracts and fix the issue when I renew. But if I am spending more to service the property then I make then I would either talk to them over the price or drop the account. But every one has their own take on that so do what you feel is right.

Duekster

LawnSite Fanatic
Everyone under bids jobs from time to time. They are in a rush, they want the job because of location, they have time to fill.....

This is particularly true when you first start out. I alway look for my dogs and when I get a better paying job, then I will go to the dog and try to sell the flea dip. If I lose it, I have my new account, if the dog agrees then I grow. I do not care how long you have been in business, you always try to improve your lowest paying with a better paying job.

Customers are often trying to the reverse. Make sure your work is good enough the client sees your hard work before you go back with your hat in your hand.