Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question....as of now my gravely wb is secured by placing it into 5th gear and letting the brakes off as if you wanted it to drive....and just for security i put a brick behind one of the tires.

Is this how most of you secure your wb's in the trailer, or is there some other way? I have a feeling that using the trans of the lawn mower as a parking brake isnt the best thing for it.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
On my prolines, I set the parking brake.
But remember to drive real nice because slam on brakes and the wb will hit the front of your trailer (nevermind damage) and this will PUSH your truck several feet!

·
Banned
3,976 Posts
Tie-down straps...that's what they're made for. Keeps things from rolling around.

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
Lake Claire Lawn Ranger said:
Setting the brake works for me
yeah u just gotta learn to accelerate easy, drive slow and keep ur distance because tie-down straps or whatever, sooner or later you forget to secure it and careful driving will pay off in more ways than one.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Tie-downs, set the brake and put tranny in gear. I sometimes use wheel chocks like you use under you tires. You can also buy the Pro Lockers. (I think that's the name.) Saw them at the Expo last year. They looked good but I don't have the extra cash. They had mowers on a trailer, hanging by the tougne from a crane. Looked impressive.

Jim

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I use a ratchet tie down strap up front and set the parking brake. I don't put it in gear, it may damage the trans. I have had the back hop around if I hit an unexpected bump just right. I've seen a lot of guys turn their wb's sideways on the trailer with no tiedowns in place. I guess that would work if it's wedged in there. I really like the looks of those pro lockers. I'll probably be getting some of those pretty soon. The tie downs stretch when they get wet.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it is a belt drive, it may still move while in gear, if the bakes are not adjusted. Tie down straps work well. Not driving like an idiot also helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gorilla Straps. (AKA large, green ratchet straps) Two on each mower. One on front, one on rear of each. Pretty sure they will break and both mowers will become missiles if I ever have a serious crash though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You should always fasten your mowers to you trailer in one way or another........straps, pro-lockers, etc. If you don't, you are just a ticking time bomb. What do you think would happen to your mowers if someone ran a stop sign in front of you, and you t-boned them? Those mowers will go flying, and who knows where they will land......on what or who.

Spend the $20 for the straps. Don't be foolish. It only takes 10 seconds to tie your equipment down.

·
Registered
291 Posts
On my exmark, i have the parking break accesory and it works real good. Never moves more than an inch of two.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
a $2 piece of 5' wood plank from Home Depot, bolted across the trailer floor to hold rear tires, at front used 2 bungy cords for 3 years tied casters to rail, plus cushioned with rubber pad at trailer rail, the area WB caster/fork will make contact when hard braking. Worked great since '02. And the 36" just parked across with park brake and bungy cords forming a T shape. between 52" and 36".

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
On my enclosed I did the following: marked where my w/b was going to be, made a stop block of two 2x4's in front, then marked where my rear tires stopped, cut two blocks the size of each tire/rear, screwed it own, now I have a speed bump, mower goes over the speed bump, hits the stop block, I then use the rachect type of strap to lock the front down..works so far.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Toy2 said:
On my enclosed I did the following: marked where my w/b was going to be, made a stop block of two 2x4's in front, then marked where my rear tires stopped, cut two blocks the size of each tire/rear, screwed it own, now I have a speed bump, mower goes over the speed bump, hits the stop block, I then use the rachect type of strap to lock the front down..works so far.
I did something Very similar. I got 2x4 boards screwed down to my trailer bed. I pull the ZTR on until the back tires rest between the 2x4's and set the brake. If I am going on the highway I strap it down with tie downs as well. Works good and its the perfect way to always get your mower in the same place so your trailer is balanced. All to often I see guys with a Z backed all the way up to the front of the trailer and nothing ele there to balance it out. Your stressing your truck and trailer doing this not to mention killing your truck tires and ride quality and steering stability.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Funny I should run across this thread now........

A couple of weeks ago, I got nabbed by the Dept.of Public Safety because my WB wasn't 'fastened down'. I pull the WB onto my trailer, wedge it under the metal toolbox, then pull my Toro on behind it, and strap down the Toro. No way in a million years that WB would come off, unless the trailer somehow got upside down. Didn't matter, got a $65 ticket........IMMEDIATELY after that incident, I swung by Home Depot and picked up some straps. Now, even if I'm just moving half a block down, everything gets winched down tight....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.