how to keep bulk fertilizer on back of truck??

bigdaddycain1216

LawnSite Member
i have been tossing the idea of buying a cattle cake feeder and powder coating the inside so that the fert does not rust up the inside fast. I figured with a ride on spreader on the rear of the truck i can just ride up to the side of the truck and lower the feed gate and fill up my ride on. Bagged fertilizer is costing me around 715 or so for a ton each week and if i can figure out how to store a ton in bulk on the back of the truck i can save around 200$ per week. Do any of u have a better idea or is there some kind of container that i just cant find on the web that can do what i am wanting?? Any input or help would be great. :confused:

Puddle of Oil

LawnSite Bronze Member
You could put a pond liner down then put a truck cap or bed cover on top.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I live in the city so I am not familiar with a cake feeder. Good idea, though. I would think a gravity box or a pallet box with a gate and chute would work if you removed the tailgate and fed your ride-on off the back of the truck. You may need to get a higher flat or box truck so you will be 12 to 14 inches above your ride-on.Naturally you need a completely rain proof cover. There is still the risk of fert absorbing moisture during humid weather and getting hard or lumpy. I suspect you need a good slant at the bottom of the box. Potentially you could park your push spreader or ride-on underneath a box truck and dispense the product through the floor. You can buy cone-shaped plastic tanks fairly cheap. No bags to load or handle. Nice.

OP
B

bigdaddycain1216

LawnSite Member
ya that is kinda the idea. the cattle cake feeders have a lid so there will be no rain getting in and it all slants at the bottom of the bin and has a 6" auger in the bottom of them the length of the box. with a shoot hanging off of the side of the truck which i believe is gonna have me well over the height of my ride on. My thoughts are to pull up to the truck drop the shoot into the ride on and push the auger button and let it do all the work. The humidity is something i am not too sure on how to handle as of now. But it is just painted metal box basically so there will deffinatly need some kind of coating on the inside or the nitrogen will eat it up. I just thought surely someone else has had some sort of idea like this and maybe there was already something out there close to this??

OP
B

bigdaddycain1216

LawnSite Member
this is a pic of the cake feeders. not sure how well it is gonna post but hopefully u can see it goes to slant at the bottom and the drop shoot for the fill up process.

cake feeder.jpg

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Good idea. Now make it out of plastic or fiberglass, or plywood.
Maybe you could adapt something like this.
http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=5799

However (small hatch) you need a way to fill it at the elevator where you buy your bulk fert. Or you need to fill it with a front-loader. Would be better if it would fit a lift truck fork. Easier if the spout was on the side so it could pour into a spreader.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Sounds good but when it rains it would sweat and when the humidity is up the urea would start to melt. It would be like you left fert in your spreader. But a neat idea. But i don't have a better idea

Charles Cue

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
So big daddy,
You could have a cone-bottom plastic tank which would hold about a ton. But you need a large opening and large cover so the elevator can auger it into the tank.

Potentially you could have a square hole cut in the floor of your truck through which you could dispense the product. When not using the tank, you would drop a carefully fitted trap door into place and you truck is fully useful.

The auger--is that 12 volt power? Look around for an old tank to try it. A liquid pallet tank is cheap. I just sold my 400 gallon tank last year--old--but it would have worked. Tilt the tank and mount it at an angle if you need a steep slant.

OP
B

bigdaddycain1216

LawnSite Member
Sounds good but when it rains it would sweat and when the humidity is up the urea would start to melt. It would be like you left fert in your spreader. But a neat idea. But i don't have a better idea

Charles Cue
what about like having a line x or bulldog bedliner sprayed in the inside of the feeder? they say that **** is rust proof and damn near bullet proof. I wonder if that will keep the inside from sweating? :drinkup:

P.Services

LawnSite Fanatic

Charles Cue
i tried this in the summer last year and your exactly right. What i think was the problem was the hot days and the cooler nights. I could be wrong but it seemed like any change in temperature at night made condensation inside and it turned into a complete mess the next day. I tried to leave the top open at the end of the day but it still did it.

I dont know, went back to bags.