Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, how does everybody keep cool in the heat out there. If not cool, at least comfortable. I Got some neck flaps, and I still get headaches. mother in law got me one of those wraps that you soak in cold water and it meant to keep you cool all day. well half hour into the first lawn of the morning and it was just a warm sweat cloth. I must get like 3 headaches a week with the heat.

Was just wondering what you all do out there so you can just keep plugging on.

Steve

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
You know what I do? I know you can relate because you are in Orlando :) I simply stay out of the hottest lawns between noon and 3 pm from about June through September. Often times we will just go to the house for a couple hours and just work later into the evening. It's not an option everyday and not an option for everyone, but if we can that's what we do. We'll go do the nice shady lawns and take advantage of what they have to offer. If there are none to take advantage of that day, we'll just wait til the sun isn't directly overhead :) That explains why you'll see me on here at odd times in the afternoon :D We are very locally based and I do not have a single lawn that takes me more than 17-18 minutes to get to. Most are within 10 minutes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I actually like to take a cooler along...one not to drink from and 1 to drin from...the 1 not to drink from does have ice in it, and I like to bring some small bath towels along for the ride..I either use my hands and scoop water on to my head(may go into shook)lol or I use teh wash cloth...Keeps ya cool for the majority of the day...longer than your mother-in-laws idea I think.... Be Safe out there

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Soak my hat in water. Drinks lots of water. Light colored clothes. In my region, and with my light load, I have plenty of opportunity to avoid the peak heat. I glad that I don't live in Florida.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wear a big cowboy hat and line it witha paper towel for each house. This helps keep all the sweat from my eyes which makes it just nicer to be outside. Lots of cold ice water. I add lemon juice to the water to help my body hydarte the water faster into my body. And of course take more breaks then normal.

We are having 98+ temp with a heat index of 108 - 112 each day. Face it it's hot in Houston.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV :D but if you are getting headaches that often you are not drinking enough clear fluids throughout the day and might need to wear safety glasses that are tinted to protect your eyes from the sun.

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Gravely man is correct. also you are loosing alot of electrolytes which could cause it also. HYDRATE or die. CAMELBACK works for me. Right there all the time and doesnt bounce off of the mower.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Been doing this down here for 19 years and here is what I do.
1. Start early!! I mean around 6:30 if you can, 7a.m. latest. That way you work into the heat.
2. Drink water! I start the minute I get up at 4:30 and don't stop all day.
3. Don't use your A.C. in your truck. Keep it off at all times.
4. Eat the right foods. Complex carbs and don't eat lunch! I usually have crackers or something to munch on in between jobs.
5. Wear loose fitting clothes.
6.Take breaks in the shade from time to time. Usually only two to three minutes each on big jobs. I sit in the truck turn on the radio and watch the clock but only for about three minutes.
7.Your safety glasses may be causing your headache. Distorted eye glasses san do that.

Hope these out. BTW heat index today 104

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by nelbuts

3. Don't use your A.C. in your truck. Keep it off at all times.
i dunno about that... a/c would be set on high for me.

although when someone gets hypothermia they raise their body temp slowly, so, maybe it isn't a bad idea... i dunno. i think i'd still rather sit in a cool truck than a hot truck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also use a hydration Pack (Camel Pack) fill it up with almost 1/2 water the nite before put it in the freezer then top off with water before leaving, stays cold all day. Also spray myself with a 1 gallon sprayer (filled with water of course) on the real hot days. Got the idea from coaching soccer the last 5 years also keeps the kids cool on those hot days on the field.

And when your future is so bright you just gotta wear shades! :cool:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I drink a lot of water during the day. I wear white cotton T-shirts and light colored shorts and a white or light colored hat. When it gets really hot I keep a couple of terry cloth towels soaking in ice water in a small cooler on the trailer. I place the ice cold towels around my neck and change them out every 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My shirts are teal. To light of clothing will bring out the skeeters. I actually have a fan in the truck instead of using the A.C. the fan blowing on my wet shirt (from sweat) cools me off pretty quick.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
and have great ideas and techniques. I use light clothing, drink alot of water, (occasionally a Gatorade, but not too much), Carry a bottle of dishwashing liquid and wash up now and again and splash water on my face, chest, and neck, and carry towels to wipe off with (the evaporation is the key to the cooling effect). The reason I carry dishwashing liquid (Dawn) is that it cuts the nasty grease, oil, and stickiness on my hands the best before I rinse my face. I hate smearing that stuf all over my face, as it seems to make me hotter. Usually I just use the hose spigget to do this, but I also use the cooler water if necessary, too. We have worked split shifts in the past, and just go swimming for a few hours occasionally. Most importantly - PACE yourself.;)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
A lot of good advice!
Drink lots of water. USe a hose to cool off your pulse points (wrists, back of neck). Soak your head a few times. Don't use your vehicles A/C! It'll make it more difficult to stay acclimated to the heat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work in shorts, Grey T-shirt.
I have a 2 1/2 gal cooler on the trailer that I use the mix Gator Ade in.
I also keep a gal of water in the truck.
I run my ac but I keep the windows down all day, it helps dry and cool me off before I hit the next job. Plus it is not as hard to get out of the truck cause it is not cold in it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.