Lawn Care Forum banner

How To Keep Grass Out of Mulch Beds???

16K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  sealcutter 
#1 ·
I have the hardest time keeping grass both from the discharge on my mower, and just from trimming out of mulch beds. I see other people's lawns & competitors lawns that look great, very clean. Whereas my own yard, which should be the best IMO being what I do, looks very messy with grass in the beds as well as the grass that grows as a result.

Just wondering if there was some sort of trick to this. I'd greatly appreciate it!

#4 ·
Very simple trick....Dont shoot grass into the beds!

Mow perimiter laps of the lawn blowing the grass in when you start. I mow 2 laps but the distance that your mowr discharges may vary. I also have a OCDC so I close that when near beds.
Also when doing your back and forths you can start at the left of the lawn or the right(when mowing stripes vertical to the road). If there is a flower bed along the front of the house, i will always mow left to right. That makes it so when I am turning around by the beds the chuts is pointed into the lawn, rather than at the bed.
Trimmer heads turn counter clockwise. If you trim with the 12-3 section of the trimmer it will throw the clippings foward. If you contact the grass in the 6-9 section it will throw the clippings backwards. I walk backwards as I trim, and trim with the 6-9 oclock section of the trimmer. This throws the trimmings away from the beds.
When all done use you blower and remove any stray clippings.

#9 ·
Power OCDC or Mulch Kit and blow the mulch beds out... Just run the blower at 1/4 throttle while going in a circular motion in the mulch beds.
If it's really that bad then just re-mulch the beds and get a OCDC and do the blower trick each time.

#20 ·
If I have to turn towards a bed(left), I will turn to the right and back up in order to not shoot clippings in bed. There are some places where you cant turn certain ways in order to avoid it, like with beds on each side of a grass strip, and for those I either bag or brings the mower down to 2/3 throttle and blow the beds gently afterwards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.