1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How to kill nutsedge ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by joef450snowplow, Jan 2, 2011.

1. joef450snowplow

joef450snowplow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I have a few new accounts that i just picked up this past snow storm we had hear in Ny and I already had a customer this year that has nutsedge, and 2 of my new accounts the customers had said they have a this weed that pops up when the temps start to warm up and that it looks like grass just with a taller and thicker blade, so i had showed them a few pics off of google and asked if it was the weed in the pics and it was, it was nutsedge, I was told by a landscaper I worked for if i used ortho weed spray with crabgrass killer in it, it should work and it did but then new plants would start to pop up the next week i would mow, so any ideas on what product I should use to eliminate this nutsedge? Thanks - Joe :hammerhead::hammerhead:

2. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

This year I used a new product that John Deere just started carrying called Solitaire. The results were good however it is expensive.

3. joef450snowplow

price range?

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sedgehammer 15 bucks for a 10k treatment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

It cost $125 for a 1lb jar and I think you get about 36 gallons out of that jar.

6. joef450snowplow

could you give me a lil info on the product at all?

7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't anyone know how to google?

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, but I put more stock in the opinions here than on the so called consumer reviews on the distributors websites. I would take Ric's advice over google reviews anyday.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

sedge hammer works good, sometimes takes more than one app to completely knock it out. JDL sells it in two sizes, a little 1.33 oz bottle that treats an acre at the stronger mix and is costly (sorry don't have the figures in front of me) and a little packet that makes 1 gallon of mix and is cheap. If you'll be using it a decent amount then the bottle is worth it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011