Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6.5X14 ft trailer , 61 lz6127 Husq. , 48 ferris walk behind , 2 kawasaki commercial trimmers and a Kawasaki commercial blower , trailer has 2 foot mesh side and trimmer racks. Is this enough to start out mowing commercial contracts and make a living. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know sounds weird to buy the equipment before any contracts . But right now I make good money and can afforde it. I plan on hitting hard next year and wanted to have the equipment to do the jobs. I work night shift 12hr shifts and I am looking to make this my full time job . I know it won't happen overnight and wont be easy but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the feedback, even if its not what I want to hear .

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Don't forget 1 5gal gas can for gas and 1 2gal gas can for oil/gas mix, extra trimmer string, misc tools for on the spot repairs, extra set of blades, gloves and hearing protection ... oh and eye protection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive got some of those things thanks . Hows it going your 1st year seen it on your profile. Are you doing this full time or part time .

·
Super Moderator
4,331 Posts
just a few things that make a bad situations alot less stressful.

Get a tire repair kit, gas stations have $.75 air if you dont have an air tank
Have a box of sparkplugs, can of starter fluid, a dedicated pair of string scissors

Orange Cones-because someone somewhere just turned 16 and got their license and can text message 30 words per minute, and drive at the same time.

Im interested to hear what other things people have found useful to have all the time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
good luck in the spring. I also work night shift 4-10s and do mowing 2 days a week. If it picks up do you have a helper and just keep in mind that the work changes through out the year. I too hope to make this a full time thing, but will keep the real job until i make double my income from mowing .. good luck

·
Registered
929 Posts
I know sounds weird to buy the equipment before any contracts . But right now I make good money and can afforde it. I plan on hitting hard next year and wanted to have the equipment to do the jobs. I work night shift 12hr shifts and I am looking to make this my full time job . I know it won't happen overnight and wont be easy but I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the feedback, even if its not what I want to hear .
That is exactly how I started out! 12 hour night shifts- thanks a lot for bringing that nightmare back up! You have plenty of equipment to start out doing residential and some small commercial stuff but not enough to go after bug commercial.

Here are some things that you will need to make life a lot easier. An air compressor at home, 1/2" impact gun & sockets, extra blades, vise & grinder to sharpen blades, grease gun, a portable air tank for the truck, air gauge, extra trimmer spools, extra edger blades, trimmer line & cutter, a small tool kit, flat tire repair kit (including a spray bottle with soapy water in it), water jug.
there are tons of stuff that you will eventually need but it would take pages to list everything.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
you bought all this equipment and dont have any accounts yet?
should have got the accounts before you bought equipment!!
I was lucky, we subbed out from a large landscaping company my first 2 years so we had the accounts just needed the equipment. But imo, its "6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other". You need the equipment to do the jobs, people are not going to wait a month or two til' you get the equip. together. On the other hand, all that equipment and no customers isnt a good thing either.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
if all that equipment is payed off or will be paid off in a few months i dont see a problem with buying it first worst comes to worst sell it off take a small lose its better than starting with a 21 in mower and a crafstman trimmer slowly get into the business becasue chances are taht one morning u wont just wake up and have enough to sustain your house and life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That was my way of thinking too, along with ZAK worse case I sell it and take a small loss . In the same breathe I have heard you bought all that and no jobs yet, I even thought it a little. But like I said I make the money to afford it and I also paid off my truck before I bought the equipment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hate night shift and am at wits end working it. But I have worked here for over 8 years and make good money and have great benefits but no life to enjoy while working this shift. I have always wanted to do this and I am in a place financially to give it a go. You guys who have worked 12 hour night shift know what Im talking about I feel like crap all the time. Sorry to bring back up the nightmare but Im living it and trying like hell to end it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
you have allot more than i did . now i have 60-70 per week 3 mowers & 3 trimmers 3 back pack blowers & a push blower . lots of little things shears & hands tools now if you do fall clean-ups you may need a push blower or a good bagger . i use the blower on parking lots and just bag the lawns i have a rider with a good bagger tho . just my 2 cents . if you ever have a ?? please feel free to pm me

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Don't forget insurance. It would suck to have some dirt bag come in and steal it all from you while your at work before you even get started. It happens.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.