How to make a good, comfortable living

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Oct 21, 2015.

1. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

Heard someone say find something no one else wants to do and do it well. These days it's hard work And no one wants to work hard so were already winning
    Posted via Mobile Device

ltdlawn and zedosix like this.
  2. ATL123

ATL123 LawnSite Member

We have a niche doing the smaller hardscape jobs. I dont really have the patience anyway to do all the design work on the huge jobs. Ill take a walkway, small walls and basic patios all day long. We get out of these jobs in 1 to 3 days and make great money.

3. iand

iand LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends what you can comfortable :)

4. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just be the best at what you do. You don't have to go outside the box, just focus on what is in the box and do it better than anyone else. It's not rocket science. You do that and you'll have a great business.

Small example, call clients back right away. Do you know how many times a year I hear people say my contractor never called me back? Last time I checked that was a pretty simple thing, that would be a "in the box" concept. We have a policy that you call the client back within the same workday.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but E.T. Dub-ya you're missing the point.

What You're talkin about are the keys to success.

What I'm talking about is that from a financial standpoint you can get rich by doing dirty work, jobs no one wants. Unchartered territory.

Most hardscape contractors need multiple crews for the owner to really make a strong living. But by doing the jobs no one wants, you can make a strong living with less stress.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. supperdude16

supperdude16 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you. I've been searching for the job that no one wants
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. hatchetson2005

hatchetson2005 LawnSite Member
    from sydney

I always like this subject.
    Long projects seem to be what everyone thinks is gonna make them rich.
    Jobs that take 2-4 workers 5 days or just under are best.
    Start on the monday always.
    No time for clients to get sick of you being onsite.
    No time for weekend amendments because of some visitor the client had.
    Great cashflow.
    No weekend shutdown of site.
    As stated the biggest downside compared to big projects is that the same effort generally goes into landing a small job as it does a big one.
    We also really like backyards with difficult access - cuts out the lazy guys that only want to use machines - and our high quality quote presentation and experience beats off the natural competitor in this situation - the beginner landscaper that has no machinery.
    Big dollars in that scenario as you can really price high as you know many of the polished contractors really don't want the job.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Some good point you made. I like your way of delving into client behavorial science, I'm the same way.

I too try to start jobs on Mondays, and finish by Friday. If we finish on a Thursday - we do not start the next job till Monday.

9. landscape2014

landscape2014 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would prefer jobs that no one else is bidding on... not necessarily a job that no one else wants. Figuring out the process to achieving this... is the key to success.

10. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone in my family either owned a bar or worked at one, the best wisdom I ever got was my grandfather saying, " I'll take fast quarters over slow dollars any night." Referring to his tips of course. I think there is wisdom there.