1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How to Mulch for Summer Cut Height of Fescue

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jmarkwood, Jun 11, 2002.

1. jmarkwood

jmarkwood LawnSite Member

I currently have my Metro 36 with mulch baffle/blades height set:
    Axle E
    Spindle 3 below/1 above
    Caster 4 1/2 below/ 1 3/16 above
    This supposedly equals 3 3/8 cut height.

Blades Exmark mulching blades - newly sharpened

The Notched foils on side discharge cutting at 2 7/8 (Factory Setting - 1/2 inch lower) for spring was awesome, but raising the height and adding the mulch kit is making the Fescue look unmanicured.

Terry stated that it is difficult to get a manicured look with the mulch kit at 3 inches or higher. Is everyone just side discharging?

It is recommeded to cut fescue at 3 to 3 1/2 by all the Turf University sites.

What height are Mid- Atlantic (VA) members normally cutting fescue at for summer?

Thanks, Jay

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jay,

Just an FYI. It is more difficult to get that "manicured cut" above 3" when mulching. Play with the front caster spacer arrangement a little bit. This doesnÂ’t greatly effect the cutting height and will allow you to fine tune the rake for the types of grasses, conditions and terrain in your area.

Normally a flat pitch works great on a mulching deck when cutting at 2.5" or below. You may find that adding a little rake will help when cutting above 3". It varies a little from lawn to lawn but some lawns you'll get a visual improvement by swapping one or two caster spacers up and adding a little rake.

On my 32" I found this to be the case with the fescue in my back yard and a less significant improvement on the blue grass in the front. Ironically adding a little rake on this two-blade machine I also saw a slightly more pronounced stripe.

Thanks

Terry