How to obtain Property Management?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnmowingintown, Jan 20, 2018.

1. lawnmowingintown

lawnmowingintown LawnSite Member

I will like to get into property management for lawn maintenance. Which companies are are available for business starters or hints. I do carry insurance.

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to be a sub-contractor for a property management company and do the lawn maintenance at their properties? Or are you trying to be a property management company, with your focus on lawn mowing/grounds keeping?

3. lawnmowingintown

Contractor or sub-contractor to do their lawn maintenance.

4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Guy's correct me if I'm wrong, but the contractor is the Property Management company and as there lawn mowing company you are the sub-contractor and will receive a 1099 at the end of the season. Make sure you understand this going forward, whether I am right or wrong.

LawnAndTurf likes this.
  5. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Sometimes they are a contractor hired by the property owner. And sometimes the property management company owns the property they are managing, or are a division of a company that owns Real Estate.

LawnAndTurf likes this.
  6. lawnmowingintown

I will make up a name "john homes rental properties". I go to online find the headquarters address, do I send them a intro letter of my business of what we offer? How it works?

Another example, Apartments complex, do I go introduce myself or send intro letter?

oqueoque likes this.
  7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

That might work. If you know someone who works there, that may help. But almost all will want to see a history of the other properties you maintain. Your letter may be 1 of 30 they get. They are going to go with a history that shows success and can be verified. For me, in my area here, there is not enough profit & too much risk & too much competition keeping prices low to get involved with commercial properties.

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah commercial always looking for cheapest quote assuming all companies will give them the same service....

9. LawnAndTurf

LawnAndTurf LawnSite Member

Be optimistic I don't think this would be the case for every property management company or property you come by.

10. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Same here. Commercials are dominated by the giant companies here. That’s a pond I’m not even interested in dipping my toe into.