Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... that sounds more synthetic than organic... and goes back to the whole N deal... what good does N do the plants anyways if they are dormant? They going to hold on to it all winter? It seems the best thing to do would be to treat it enough to get to the point that it goes dormant, and then treat again just before it starts coming back to life.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
he shoots and its... he missed the goal, no point..........

this should have read what to do to the soil to get it good for winter, so this dormant grass stores carbs/aminos and all for spring?? why?? and are these nutrients the same as it grows??? why not just call it the xmas money treatment.lolol winterizer is that like anti freeze.lolol

down here we just wax the surf boards.lolol

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Plants build up carb reserves and probably aminos as tg said.

Remember the thread of jd's research? The plants sends out enzymes that stimulate the activity of microbes? When it has enough N it switched enzymes to K for example?

Plants all over the world prepare themselves for winter. They do better in good soil with sufficient water, but they do it according to their needs.

We THINK we know that the grass needs 3lbs/k of N b4 winter, but we also KNOW that N in the spring causes rapid green growth that BURNS up the carb reserves. That is close enough to a 'logical absurdity' for me to just enrich the soil and let the plant decide what it wants to do.

I hold off judgement of N till about May here so the Milorganite has time to get used by Memorial Weekend. [This is Northern grasses and I make no claims about Southern grasses, because I have no experience with them.]

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
My guess that the best time of the year is the fall - to aid in overseeding and have the good microbes put the lawn to bed for the winter.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
So a high 'albedo' being the higher amount of light reflecting off the lawn? or the furry comic book anthology? [I didn't have to look it up :)]

...and a faster greenup leads to more root growth in the moist spring b4 the summer drought.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
yeah, I don't think that is the way to do it with warm season grasses but that will help with the few cool season lawns I have.
So when will a positive N fix work most efficiently on southern turf? And why?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I don't buy into the excessive N in the fall idea. The plant can only store so much, then the rest is leached away. I do like the winterizer concept though, and like to apply normal rate of 4-3-1 or 6-2-4 in November. This year however I'm going to do a heavy extract or tea app in October (before it gets too cold) and compare that to a granular winterizer next spring.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Cool season grasses perform their best during Spring & Fall (growth cycle). Warm season perform their best during Summer. Respectfully, those are the ideal time to fertilize and renovate. Recovery time and germination success is vastly improved during the growth cycles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.