How to price a golf cart bridge to client???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jonnyz37, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys. The golf course I live on has asked me to price building a small golf cart bridge over a ditch. The ditch is three feet deep and only about five feet wide. Currently there is a cart path going over it, but it is washing out when there is a heavy rain. The total bridge will be about 6'*18' and will never be more than a foot higher than the ground it sits atop of. I plan on installing 4 footings on each side of the ditch And the bridge will be about ten feet level where it crosses the ditch and four feet ramps on each end. I'll use 6"*6" posts with 2"*10" joists and use 2"*6" for the decking. And ill put some type of railing on both sides. I'm guessing the materials will run around $750. Can anyone suggest some type of ballpark way of pricing this project? This will obviously be a learning project for me.... But I have to start somewhere. I have built decks before and am confident I can build a good looking structurally sound bridge. Just need help with the bid. Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Include in your bid, the cost to aquire the permits. Building code and DEQ.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to suggest that too.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Here is a sight that will have prefabricated bridges in many configurations. golfcoursetrades.com click the structures tab.
    Get some quotes and find the best one to handle the job as your sub contractor. I am sure that any of theses companies can handle all or part of the transaction. Charge what you think is fair as the GC and the Golf Course will be impressed how smart you are.
    easy-lift guy

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'd recommend the prefab to since the engineering is already done

6. jonnyz37

jonnyz37 LawnSite Senior Member

4 replies....4 answers...that didnt answer the question i asked. Im sure you mean well guys, but can anybody give a ballpark answer to the question i actually asked? Like bid 3 times the cost of materials....2.5 times materials....4 times materials? Basically this bridge is a deck, that needs to hold golf carts instead of people. This isnt rocket science for the guys that have done this type of thing before. And the best way for me to learn is to get in there and build it. I wont be subbing it out, i wont be buying a pre fab bridge. I want to learn, but im asking for pricing help. No other help has been requested. Im just sayin'

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

How long it'll take times hourly rate. Mark materials up a little to cover you're time
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Oh why didnt you say so?

two men. One day. Thousand bucks.

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes in life it's better to have people to handle a job or project.
    Although working harder and saying after the fact this is what I built, I honestly believe this project will be more than you bargin for.
    I hope your customer will be happy with your design,build.
    I would suggest that you have the Golf Course owners sign a release of indemnification on your bridge after your job is complete.
    easy-lift guy

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

It isn't rocket science but it's a ton of liability. You need a engineers stamp. If it was a bridge at your house or farm if say go for it but public use you need to cover your butt. 10 years from now when Johnny takes his golf cart off the side and the lawyers come knocking you'll thank me.
    Posted via Mobile Device