1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

How to properly sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by woodall1, Aug 3, 2004.

1. woodall1

woodall1 LawnSite Member
    from Eden NC

Could someone please tell me the PROPER way to sharpen my mower blades. I just purchased a Toro 500 20/52 and I want everything done properly. I also have a Gravely PRO 50 and we have always just used a grinder. I really dont think my careless method is proper.

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

First you must take the blades off. Now you may say"NO SH**!" but you would not beleive the people who have tried to sharpen the blades with out taking them off. You can use any grinder , angle or bench to sharpen the blades. Balancing the blades is where most people have problems. Some people do and some do not. To balance a blade is easy. You can buy a little thing that looks like a cone that tells you or you can do as a lot of people have done for years. Just take a screwdriver and put it though the mounting hole and hold it out level. The heavy end will point down. Just grind a little off that end until both ends stay level when you hold it out.

blade balancer.jpg

3. renda454

renda454 LawnSite Member

You also need a little bucket of water to dip the blade in while you are grinding to keep the temper in the blade

4. DEA

DEA LawnSite Member

should the blade have a sharp knife edge or a very slight flat edge?